• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lorebett

lorebett
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hi

each time I install copy on Linux and all my files are downloaded to my local hard disk, all files have the execution bit (+x) and this is extremely wrong, and this forces me to remove the execution bit manually (and wait for the modifications to be sent back to the remote server).  This happens each time I install copy on a new Linux machine...

#2 Michael Potter

Michael Potter
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

When applying permissions to directories on Linux, the permission bits have different meanings than on regular files.

• The write bit allows the affected user to create, rename, or delete files within the directory, and modify the directory's attributes
  • The read bit allows the affected user to list the files within the directory
  • The execute bit allows the affected user to enter the directory, and access files and directories inside
  • Here “access” is a bit ambiguous: +x on the directory grants access to files inodes through this specific directory (nothing less, nothing more, well… maybe chdir needs +x too). To read or write the contents of one file, the user also needs +r/+w on this file, but those are distinct permissions (they do not override anything)

#3 lorebett

lorebett
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:21 AM

When applying permissions to directories on Linux, the permission bits have different meanings than on regular files.

• The write bit allows the affected user to create, rename, or delete files within the directory, and modify the directory's attributes
  • The read bit allows the affected user to list the files within the directory
  • The execute bit allows the affected user to enter the directory, and access files and directories inside
  • Here “access” is a bit ambiguous: +x on the directory grants access to files inodes through this specific directory (nothing less, nothing more, well… maybe chdir needs +x too). To read or write the contents of one file, the user also needs +r/+w on this file, but those are distinct permissions (they do not override anything)

Hi

I was not referring to execution bit on directories, which is indeed required. I mean that every file that is downloaded has also the execution bit set, and this is wrong: the execution bits of files should be the ones of the original files when they were uploaded while this is not the case.

If on computer A I upload a text file without the execution bit set, on computer B that text file is downloaded with the execution bit set. And this is wrong. On Linux this makes Copy quite unusable...