Copy Alternatives - pros/cons

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Rosinbum

Kevin Rosinbum
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

Well, I am extremely, irrevocably disappointed to hear that COPY is going away. So now the obvious question... Where to move data. Which services do folks here use - pros? cons?

I've used a number of the over the years and settled on Copy very, very happily never looking back. The extremely generous storage didn't hurt, but I've loved the service itself otherwise. Life moves on I suppose.

Any suggestions and/or thoughts on alternatives?

Thanks

KevinR

#2 Rob Tigeir

Rob Tigeir
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:23 AM

It's quiet here isn't it!

I'm in the early stages of consideration but the headlines so far for me are:

GoogleDrive and OneDrive don't have linux clients so require third party apps but integrate with many other services.

Dropbox for business is $15 per user per month starting at 5 users with 1/6 discount for paying yearly. - totally unrealistic for the charity I work for but Dropbox is surely the easiest drop in replacement.

GoogleDrive is easy to set up, OneDrive is a nightmare and the OneDrive for Business and OneDrive services are incompatible... But GoogleDrive makes local files funny and open in a browser rather than in an Office suite.

www.weiyun.com has no linux client but does offer 1TB free and doesn't come in the English language.

I'll be delving further.

#3 Jules van den Doel

Jules van den Doel
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:42 AM

I'm also extremely disappointed by Barracuda. With referrals over the past 3 years or so, I've earned about 4TB of free storage "for life", as promised by Barracuda and I've continued referring users to Copy after I had reached the "bonus limit". Now this storage "for life" has been simply taken away from me. I'm using more than 2TB of this storage for my photo archive, for which I now have to find another solution. 

After a first quick glance on the internet I'm inclined to go to Amazon Cloud Drive as this seems the only one affordable for me where I can store my 2TB (and growing) photo archive ... anyone  with experience here ? 

Thanks, Jules

#4 roger shannon

roger shannon
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:15 AM

I'm also extremely disappointed by Barracuda. With referrals over the past 3 years or so, I've earned about 4TB of free storage "for life", as promised by Barracuda and I've continued referring users to Copy after I had reached the "bonus limit". Now this storage "for life" has been simply taken away from me. I'm using more than 2TB of this storage for my photo archive, for which I now have to find another solution. 

After a first quick glance on the internet I'm inclined to go to Amazon Cloud Drive as this seems the only one affordable for me where I can store my 2TB (and growing) photo archive ... anyone  with experience here ? 

Thanks, Jules

Had a quick look at Amazon last night but there site is far too confusing.  Which of their offering is a simple cloud storage?

Playing with CrashPlan right now which offers unlimited storage for $6 per month.  Its not a sync app though, pure backup, but allows one to pick 'n choose which folders on drive to send to the cloud.   For syncing across devices, I'll go back to Dropbox, I don't need all that much sync space, just for docs I'm currently working on.

#5 Jules van den Doel

Jules van den Doel
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:56 AM

I'm trying the "Unlimited Everything" option that will cost me $60,-/year. Together with the free odrive app for desktop syncing I get about the same functionality as with the Copy app with selective syncing of folders to my different Mac's. Still am discovering this, but it looks quite promising ... 

#6 roger shannon

roger shannon
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

I'm trying the "Unlimited Everything" option that will cost me $60,-/year. Together with the free odrive app for desktop syncing I get about the same functionality as with the Copy app with selective syncing of folders to my different Mac's. Still am discovering this, but it looks quite promising ... 

That's a pretty good price for unlimited, and thanks for the tip about odrive as well.   will be installing those tonight to play around with. 

#7 Sehau

Sehau
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

You might check out Teamplace as well (www.teamplace.net). It comes with web and mobile apps and gives unlimited storage for short-term projects and i think 10 GB for your personal backup. 

I use it almost daily for my job and when I need to gather event pictures from larger groups and so on. 

#8 AJ

AJ
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

Have looked at these alternatives

Google Drive

Sync.com

Dropbox

Am leaning towards Sync.com, great pricing 5GB free and 500GB for $49 for the year.  Seems more secure with zero-knowledge encryption.

#9 jono young

jono young
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

Dropbox is the best option - it is stable and well integrated with the OS level and 3rd party apps.

Google Drive is pretty good too, I prefer it to MS products for sure because it is less capable, and therefore less complex. It is constantly improving and more than good enough for most needs. On the down side, Google is in the business of harvesting your data and selling your data - anonymously, but still your usage of Google means you are being added to an ad segment somewhere.

If you are tech savvy, OwnCloud allows you to set up your own cloud storage solution - it is very much like Dropbox, but it is free to use via Open Source software. If you have access to a server, Own Cloud may be a really good option.

https://owncloud.org

Access, Sync and Share Your Data, Under Your Control!

ownCloud is a self-hosted file sync and share server. It provides access to your data through a web interface, sync clients or WebDAV while providing a platform to view, sync and share across devices easily — all under your control. ownCloud’s open architecture is extensible via a simple but powerful API for applications and plugins and it works with any storage.

If I could only have one, it would be Dropbox. Own Cloud is worth a look if you are a small business - you can get a server and save some money annually if you factor in the subscription costs.

#10 Fred

Fred
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

I had a 1 TB account, but only used about 200 gigs.

I already use CrashPlan as a backup tool, and it works great - but CrashPlan is not a Syncing tool for regularly used files - it's just backup.

I did all the research all over again today:

• Amazon Everything (Cloud) - it's not as awesome as it sounds, it's just cloud storage that you upload as needed, there's no syncing built in, it's crap I say.
  • Sync.com, zero-knowledge encryption. <--- I don't believe it since Canada is part of the "5 Eyes" - look it up
  • Google - $99 for 1TB - great option, but I really don't want to pay $100 at this point
  • OneDrive - MS should just stick to business products, they ruin every consumer product they touch, I won't even bother.
  • SpiderOak - $129 - nope
  • iDrive - This really had me interested. The trial seemed to work fine today, and it has a backup drive in the cloud plus syncing - so it's like 2 separate tools in one.  It's what Ive always wanted - some spot to just store 200 gigs of photos without taking up space on my harddrive and the ability to sync other files.  I decided against it, the online forums are full of complaints of lack of customer service and other issues.
  • I looked and looked some more....
  • I use a free DropBox account for some important files, and it works fine, and DropBox has been around forever, but, again $99.  This company seems to have a very conservative approach, but they have lasted a very long time.
  • Apple iCloud - Im a heavy Mac user.  I used to have the old iDisk account when you had to pay for it, until they shut that down because it was the slowest thing ever created online, but iCloud is very different.  I know Apple is stable and it has it's own data centers now, so I signed up for the 200 gig account at $2.99 per month.  I think that's a good price.  It really has no bells and whistles (no pause/resume, no version control, you can undelete a file for only 30 days,  can't see the network speed, etc.), but it's hopefully important enough that Apple will keep it growing.

So my combination is CrashPlan and Apple iCloud

#11 Dan White

Dan White
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

We spent a lot of time evaluating various options about a year and a half ago and copy.com was the hands down winner.  So we are pretty disappointed in this turn of events.  I am surprised that they did not try to sell this product since it works really well.

We also have looked at the options for our small business and we are leaning towards box.com.  For you guys needing something personal they offer 10GB for free!  For small business you can do the $5/mo/user or $15/mo/user.  They offer some pretty interesting features that I have not seen elsewhere.  I am not sure why Copy.com is pushing everyone to OneDrive as it sucks unless you are a Windows only operation, which we are not.

#12 Dan Shick

Dan Shick
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:00 PM

I wonder if there's any hope for them to release some open source version of their server software. I'd run my own if I could continue to use the robust cross-platform client.

#13 roger shannon

roger shannon
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

I don't think you can call something "crap" if it contains no syncing..  Some of us are looking at backup solutions and not necessarily interested in syncing.

The reason I chose Copy/Cuda was because it did both.  Copy was the best of the lot of all the syncing applications, and Cuda provided the backup option for folders outside of Copy.

I'm still busy evaluating a few options, but so far I think Amazon Cloud and Crashplan are the 2 I'd look at for backups, and Box.com or Sync.com for a syncing solution.   All 4 have good pricing, and I especially like Crashplan and Amazon's unlimited storage.  Crashplan would probably win by a nose as they have a monthly payment option, and their software is better. Amazon's app is just for uploading to their cloud, everything else has to be done on their website.  Crashplan also has a Linux client which is important as some of my clients have Linux servers.  Whatever I decide on has to work at all my clients, as I'm not inclined to have different solutions at different sites.

Box is currently my favourite of the syncing apps, mainly because their Android app is the best of the bunch.  They also give 10GB on their free account which is handy if one needs a few free accounts for reps.  Will still be installing and trying a few more over the next few days...

#14 roger shannon

roger shannon
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

I am surprised that they did not try to sell this product since it works really well.

I thought the same, but I guess there's some proprietary Barracuda coding that they use elsewhere and don't want to let anyone else have.

#15 julie pfeifenroth

julie pfeifenroth
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

Very disappointed here too.  I moved to copy when I was looking for more free storage than offered by dropbox and I found dropbox to use a lot of memory.  I also tried box.com in the past and had lots of problems with syncing.

I need  a service that allows for large file sizes and simple syncing.  

I've now set up a Mega account (mega.nz) which has 50GB free, have transferred all my files & have updated a few.  So far, so good.  

#16 Chris Smith

Chris Smith
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

You could try

https://mega.nz

They give 50GB of space free, they also have a paid service if required.

#17 Carlos Klinger

Carlos Klinger
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

. . .

If you are tech savvy, OwnCloud allows you to set up your own cloud storage solution - it is very much like Dropbox, but it is free to use via Open Source software. If you have access to a server, Own Cloud may be a really good option.

https://owncloud.org

If I could only have one, it would be Dropbox. Own Cloud is worth a look if you are a small business - you can get a server and save some money annually if you factor in the subscription costs.

I looked into this, as I have an ESXi host running in my home office. Comcast business plan so no "capping"

I downloaded a premade VM Appliance from https://www.techandme.se/pre-configured-owncloud-installaton/ .

"Some tech savvy" was an understatement. Then again, I'm a Windows guy trying to navigate the Linux appliance.

I gave it a 1TB secondary drive and have that backing up to an external QNAP.

So far so good, The owncloud android app, I found a bit limiting, so I went with Synchronize Unlimited https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icecoldapps.synchronizeultimate&hl=en, allows me to pick what folders and when (on or off wifi), upon action (new file) etc. Plus it works with other Cloud providers.

I have separate folders for my different devices, sub-folders , Camera, Downloads, Hangouts, etc .

I am very sad to see copy drive go.

In any case, Good Luck to all..

#18 Pierre Alexander

Pierre Alexander
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

Well, since I'm not willing to pay for a cloud service cause for now I only need 20GB, I started looking for the best free options. I decided to use MEGA, cause believe me, there's no better free service out there. I already had a MEGA account since 2014, but when Kim Dotcom said he wasn't part of the company anymore, I simply decided to look for another reliable option and that's how I came to Copy four months ago. MEGA is on the market for three years now and their  app on Google Play has between 10 and 50 million downloads. Copy has between fifty thousand and one million downloads on Google Play. So you can see that Mega is widely used and this makes me believe this cloud storage will last for many years.

Things to consider:

*mover.io doesn't support Mega. In order to move your data to Mega without re-uploading everything, you can use cloudbuckit.com (I found it very slow), cloudsfer.com (really fast) and multlcloud.com (Not sure if I can't trust multicloud and its free option is very slow).

*Using cloudsfer.com to transfer my pictures directly to Mega, I can't see their thumbnails. So, in order to check if my pictures aren't corrupted I have to preview one by one and that takes time. I already emailed Mega and asked them why I'm able see thumbnails only when pictures are uploaded from my PC.

Updated:

Mega support is really good and they answered me why I can't see thumbnails of my pictures imported from Copy. The reason is due to the high level security that Mega provides to its users. To generate thumbnails you have to download all the pictures that are already stored on Mega. That's all.

#19 Dan Alvin

Dan Alvin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:13 AM

In looking for alternatives, I came across a very helpful article covering 7 options and their features.  The author even put together a comparison table with free and paid storage amounts.  http://beebom.com/2016/02/copy-com-alternatives

Other possible options I have come across and have just begun researching are:

Sync by BitTorrent  (control access on folder by folder basis)

Seafile  (for self-hosting?)

Box.com (10gb free, 250mb file size limit)

Phydio (for self-hosting)

Syncthing (peer-to-peer; cannot share links with others)

Whatnot

DriveHQ

FreeFileSync (beware - some installer files out there bundle extra software)

Allway Sync

SyncBack

Synkron

File Synchronizer at karaosoft.com

WinDataReflector

Synchredible

This is by no means all the options out there.  Does anyone have experience with any of these choices (good or bad), and have any comments regarding some of their features?  Free or paid, peer-to-peer or cloud, self-hosting, cross platform, etc.

Thank you to everyone here offering suggestions.

#20 Gleb Budman

Gleb Budman
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:57 PM

Sorry to hear many of you will have to migrate data. That's never fun.

I'd like to offer up two options from Backblaze as well:

Unlimited backup for Mac & PC. $5/month.

https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup.html

(Native apps; web restore & free FedEx hard drive restore)

Lowest cost cloud storage via web, CLI, and API. $0.005/GB/month. 10 GB free.

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage.html

Gleb Budman

CEO, Backblaze