• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Philipp Kreidl

Philipp Kreidl
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:17 PM

Anybody else has some issue with the renaming of the port IDs on new appliances?

For example on the new F18 the ports are named p1, p2, etc. instead of port1 port2... Support told us this will be the case for all new appliances (F180, F280...)

This complicates everything, it even break things like if you have a FW Rule with a Nat Connection type "From Interface" which are needed in some scenarios (We do have them). Now we have to run 2 different rulesets because of the renaming or what?

In addition to that, monitoring systems will detect the new port labels as completely new interfaces, so customers lose all historical data if they don't consolidate them. (Also our setup -> awesome).

Who of you thought this would be a good idea? At least provide some backwards compatibility or whatever... but this move was unnecessary.

Please fix this

#2 Hermann Bilgeri

Hermann Bilgeri
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:30 AM

Hello,

I think it's great that the ports now get a short name. So there remain more charaters for the server now. This simplifies the 11 character limit.

OK, I've to do some changes now, but for the long therme it will be a benfit.

regards

Hermann

#3 Manuel Huber

Manuel Huber
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:25 AM

I can understand the problems because I´ve often had them myself. Longterm statistics are lost and it might happen that you forget that in DHCP Relay there was this interface port1 configured that you should have adjusteed to p1 etc. (+ some other places).

While so far I never bothered to do it, I think this problem can be mitigated by renaming the interfaces in network configuration - interfaces- physical interfaces.

#4 Philipp Kreidl

Philipp Kreidl
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:20 PM

While so far I never bothered to do it, I think this problem can be mitigated by renaming the interfaces in network configuration - interfaces- physical interfaces.

No that doesn't work and also doesn't scale if it would. We are running more than 1500 boxes and we will have a soft migration from F10 to F18 and don't want to touch the config for each replacement.

Time to find a workaround... or check other vendors  <_<

#5 Pieter Rubens

Pieter Rubens
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:07 AM

or a script to replace the port1=> p1 in the par file?

#6 Manuel Huber

Manuel Huber
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

Migrating F10 to F18? There´s imho another issue:

Unfortunately for reasons only logic to Barracuda you can´t migrate the server product type from F10 to F18, so I had to create new servers and then move the services attached to old server to new server.

I wouldn´t want to do this 1500 times, but then again maybe there´s a shortcut that I´m not aware of? :unsure: