Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:14 AM
When user makes a search for emails using the Barracuda search facility within Outlook they come back with random weird characters.
Example: I⦣128;™m happy with that, I⦣128;™ll come earlier tomorrow.
It just happens where the email contains apostrophes or so but it does not happen through the web based facility.
Any idea to sort this out?
Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:18 AM
Please contact Barracuda technical support. We'll need to compare the Outlook add-in's log with the archived message on your Barracuda Message Archiver, but we should be able to get this fixed quickly.
Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:14 AM
I am having the exact same issue. Do I need to contact support as well or is there a fix or firmware update that I can install?
Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:41 PM
Anyone have any luck with tech support on this? I have the same problem. Some messages have the bad apostrophes, for example "That$B!G(Bs", yet the same message that's part of another archived message shows "That's". This only happens when opening archived messages from the Barracuda Outlook add-in. If I save the email to my PC and then open it the apostrophe shows up correctly.
I didn't have any luck with tech support. I was told that since it only happens when opening archived mail from the Outlook add-in it was a problem with Outlook.
Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:49 PM Best Answer
There are some fixes we can push out via Group Policy that should address your problem. Please contact Barracuda technical support. If there's any confusion, tell them I sent you.