Photo

Web Filter

Best Answer Nathan Lofton, 14 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

It seems the web filter was just dropping the packets for this "non-standard" port.

I found two ways around this issue, 1 on my own, and the other with the help of a Barracuda tech.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages. 

1. Add it to IP block/exempt with that specific port, the disadvantage is that it bypasses the filters.

2. Add the port to the HTTPS ports, the disadvantage here is that it opens up that port, however you can lock this down to a specific IP address on your firewall if you want the extra security.

Thanks for your response guys.  It prompted me to change the verbage I was using when doing web searches for this issue.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Lofton

Nathan Lofton
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:40 PM

I am using a web filter, and have a domain(domainA.com) allowed for all networks using this web filter as a proxy.

I now need to access https://subdomainB.domainA.com:9031but still have it route to the barracuda web filter.

When browsing to subdomain b with port 9031, i notice that I completely bypass the web filter.  Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks,

Nathan

#2 Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:01 AM

Until someone more knowledgeable replies I'll throw this out there -  I don't know, but since your proxy is probably set to use a port like 8080 or 8280 or something like that, it could be that manually appending port 9031 is causing you to bypass the proxy.  That would seem odd, though.

Steve

#3 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:42 AM

Would recommend troubleshooting what the DNS for subdomainA routes to through the web filter and maybe work with support to test and verify it actually is routing through the unit.

Matthew Willson-Heller
Support Escalation Manager, US

Barracuda Networks Inc.
Phone: +1 408.342.5300 x5346
Fax: +1 408.342.1061
Web: www.barracudanetworks.com

#4 Nathan Lofton

Nathan Lofton
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:31 AM   Best Answer

It seems the web filter was just dropping the packets for this "non-standard" port.

I found two ways around this issue, 1 on my own, and the other with the help of a Barracuda tech.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages. 

1. Add it to IP block/exempt with that specific port, the disadvantage is that it bypasses the filters.

2. Add the port to the HTTPS ports, the disadvantage here is that it opens up that port, however you can lock this down to a specific IP address on your firewall if you want the extra security.

Thanks for your response guys.  It prompted me to change the verbage I was using when doing web searches for this issue.