Photo

Barracuda NG Firewall Azure Licensing Issue & Improvement

Azure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joe Lesters

Joe Lesters
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:39 PM

I have run into issues with our Barracuda NG firewall in regards to Azure. Azure does not have a way to assign a static MAC address. An Azure virtual machine (which is what our NG firewall is installed on) can be rebooted for planned or unplanned maintenance. We have purchased an HA failover for that reason. But, the issue is when a virtual machine is deallocated and reallocated a new MAC address is assigned and since Barracuda ties all licensing to the MAC address this causes the license to become invalid and the firewall moves to grace period mode. When in grace period mode you have 15 days to contact barracuda and apply another license or you firewall will not operate.

My issue is that within Azure we may not always know when machines are rebooted specifically with an HA setup and we don't regularly login to see if machines are in a grace period. I am worried that our entire network setup/configuration could come down because of a license that is not assigned within the Barracuda NG and I would request that Barracuda could come up with a solution that would be automated on the licensing for Azure based installations.

#2 Michael Zoller

Michael Zoller
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:08 AM

Hi,

I think your information is not quite correct, changing MAC addresses should not invalidate the license. For more information how licenses in Azure are assigned see https://techlib.barr.../LicensingAzure

Please contact Barracuda technical support if your license is not registered correctly.