Photo

Device-Based VPP App - Automatically update?

VPP updates app ios

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Metzger

Josh Metzger
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:11 AM

Hello, I have a number of public apps that are being pushed out to my iPads.  They are using VPP device-based licensing.  When the developer updates the application, they do not update on my iPads.  Is this unsupported?  Is there something I can try to make it work?  I have fiddled with many of the IOS restrictions in the profile, but nothing seems to help.  Any guidance you can provide would be appreciated.

#2 John Irwin

John Irwin
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:41 AM

Hi Josh,

My developer found these article for me on another instance of the concern seen, about two months ago, as we tested against 9 and 10 IOS to see if working to auto update apps. best option may be to remove and re-install app, possibly losing any data then, unless apple has a way to keep the data on remove/install .

There isn’t any official bug reports from Apple but here are some links of other users reporting the issue: I removed colon // to enter the links here

http apple.stackexchange.com/questions/234999/iphone-has-stopped-updating-apps-automatically

http www.igeeksblog.com/auto-app-updates-not-working-in-ios-9/

https forums.developer.apple.com/message/157966#157966
(not sure if this link will work, this is from the Apple Developer forums, and you’ll need to log in to the site)

Sorry I have no work around on my end that I know of yet.

#3 Josh Metzger

Josh Metzger
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:34 AM

Thank you, this is helpful.

Seems like auto-update works if we use a user-based VPP license.  But I would like to avoid using an AppleID on all my devices, as they are company-owned.  We generally roll these out without an AppleID, hence the Device-based license.  Problem is that one of our apps forces the user to update.  The day after the developer updates their app, all users can't login and work.  Then I have to scramble and remove/re-install.  After doing this, they have the latest version and all is good, until the next update comes around.  If it is a limitation by Apple, then so be it.

I have a ticket open with Barracuda right now, hopefully we can find a solution.

#4 Karl Moore

Karl Moore
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:01 AM

Josh to work around this Apple issue the Sync with All button will be changed to re-install the application even on devices that already have it installed.  This change will be released next week.  This should at least ensure you're devices are up-to-date at that point in time.  As for the larger issue with Apple, we've raised a feature request to see if there is any automated solution we could implement.

#5 Jonathan Marlowe

Jonathan Marlowe
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

I know this is rather old, but it's literally the only post in the forums about it.  Did you ever get any resolution in this problem?  I'm facing exactly the same problem and I'm dead in the water currently.  I have a ticket opened with support, but waiting on engineers to get in and call me back is maddening... 

#6 Josh Metzger

Josh Metzger
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

No automatic update.  Barracuda states it's a problem with Apple.  I just login and update all my apps every week or so, by 1) logging into the portal, 2) browsing to "Device Config" > "Applications", 3) selecting the checkbox next to all my apps, 4) and clicking the "Sync with All" button.  It's pretty easy, and takes about 60 seconds, but is, unfortunately, a manual process.  But when it's all said and done it forces all of my apps to go to the App Store and update all the apps.  One note, every once in a while, I have an app that won't update.  Normally, I have to manually remove the app then reboot the iPad.  Afterwards, it will let me update.  I manage updates on about 120 iPads using this method.

#7 Jonathan Marlowe

Jonathan Marlowe
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

Thanks Josh... The Sync With All button seems to be the magic bullet... I did it and things started going through updates... I really appreciate your help!  Josh mentioned that button, but I didn't know where to find it... support was doing their best, but the engineers just weren't available to help... in the end, this wasn't an engineering thing at all :(

#8 Jonathan Marlowe

Jonathan Marlowe
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:32 AM

Hey Josh, how do you do a remove of an app without actually touching the device?

#9 Josh Metzger

Josh Metzger
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

Sent a PM, as this is off-topic for the post.  If you'd like it publicly answered for posterity, please start a new thread and PM me to reply.  Thanks.