Photo

Quarantine Notifications Unreadable

quarantine notifications

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 Tino Marquez

Tino Marquez
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

Starting about three weeks ago everyone in my office for our domain (we are all on Barracuda Office 365 Essentials Complete) started receiving our Quarantine Notifications in format that was unreadable and the links are broken when you click on them. We opened a ticket with Barracuda tech support and they said it was an Office 365 issue. Office 365 tech support says it is a Barracuda issue. All we know is that we receive HTML emails from all other vendors and monitoring systems just fine. The issue seems to be is for whatever reason, Office 365 is stripping some code out of these Quarantine Notification emails to individual users. The ones we have going to distribution groups do not experience the same issue.

What has made this troubleshooting process a nightmare is that Barracuda tech support refuses to work with Office 365 tech support. Also, Office 365 tech support wants to be able to trace the emails as they come to analyze them, but there is no way to force the Quarantine Notifications to trigger on demand. You have to wait the designated schedule you setup and hope that something was caught.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? We have bene able to suffer through it in my office, but I'm or was hoping to bring over 60 sets (multiple client accounts) over to Barracuda Essentials Complete, and we can't risk it if they were to start receiving unreadable Quarantine Notifications too and there is no resolution. It really makes the product unusable and unreliable from the viewpoint of the end user.  

#2 Alai Caetano

Alai Caetano
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:07 AM

Same problem here. Also started 3 weeks ago.

#3 Alai Caetano

Alai Caetano
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:22 AM

The email content header comes in as Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

#4 Chris Meyer

Chris Meyer
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

Same problem here.  However, we are new customers as of Dec 1, 2016 and we cut everyone over (1350 users).  The weird thing is that not all users/domains are seeing the issue.  We only have the problem with 2 of our domains in Office365.  The other 10 domains are fine.  The only thing I can think of is that the 2 domains where we see the problem have longer domain names (example:  @muchlongerdomain.com rather than @domain.com)

I am surprised Barracuda "refuses" to work with MS support.  I also agree that all other alert/monitoring notification emails I received come through just fine.  I have to believe there is a "better" way for Barracuda to send these emails so that they aren't "altered" in a disruptive want by Office365.

#5 Tino Marquez

Tino Marquez
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

That is in an interesting thought on the longer domain names having the issues. We have been experiencing the problem now for well over month with no new information or results from Barracuda. They send me an email every other day just to tell me that they are "...still working on the issue". However when I ask for details they only tell me that it is an Office 365 issue and that they sent over examples. No details no nothing so I have no reason to believe anything is actively being worked on at all. Both Intronis (who we buy from) and Barracuda tech support do not seem to think this is a huge issue for us our clients and it is very frustrating. If it isn't resolved soon, I will have to start moving our clients off the service and to a competitor that does not have this issue and understands customer service.

Since the issue started, all Quarantine Notification emails to everyone in my office has had the issue. Every single one. Every single time. However, we have a mailbox that is a distribution group in Office 365. It does not have the issue.

#6 Andrew Teets

Andrew Teets
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

Curious if you guys figured this out? - we're considering Barracuda and this kind of interaction bums me out.

Thanks

-Andrew

#7 Tino Marquez

Tino Marquez
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

It has been working lately (the past two weeks) but it is spotty. Some days it works and on some notifications, it reverts back to not working. It is random when the issue occurs, there are not specific days or intervals (I have mine setup to receive every 2 hours M - Sun). But I would say it is working more often now than not.

Getting "official" updates from Barracuda on this issue is difficult, as you can see they haven't even responded to this thread. Again, it only seems to affect "long" email addresses from what we can see.

#8 Tino Marquez

Tino Marquez
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

Shortly after my last response, like the very next day, the quarantine reports stopped working again for our users with longer email addresses. Of course my emails to the two people assigned to my ticket with Barracuda continue to ignore me and only my account rep from Intronis will chime in and say they are still working on the issue but no specifics. Very frustrating and poor customer service from Barracuda Tech support.

#9 Tino Marquez

Tino Marquez
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

Still not working and when ever I email tech support and one of hte tech suppoort managers to get an update on the issue, no one responds. All my account manager can say is that they (whoever they are) is still working on the issue. Very unprofessional of the tech support manager not to answer my emails seekign a status update.

#10 Michael Parkin

Michael Parkin
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:46 PM

Hi, folks,

I'm a new (since early march) TME here at Barracuda on the Essentials product and notice that we haven't responded to the thread.  I'd like to do what I can here to help get this sorted for everyone.  I understand our support team and development engineers are working with Microsoft's O365 team to try and get everything corrected, and from what I've been able to gather it's an intermittent problem which has made it difficult to isolate.

Tino, if you have any reference numbers I can check into that would be great.  I'd like to at least get you more information on what's been going on.

Cheers,

Mike

#11 Tino Marquez

Tino Marquez
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:53 PM

It is not intermittent for us any longer. We have not received properly formatted HTML email Quarantine Notificaiton Reports since Friday, February 17, 2017 it looks like. Again we isolated this to users with long email addresses. The last time I reached out to support and to a support manager, I was basically told that it is my problem and they (Barracuda) can't do anything about it and that I should just forget about ever having readable notifications. OK, I'm paraphrasing, but the vibe I got is that you guys don't care. You don't even bother to keep me updated on case # 02350665. The support manager ask me if I tried working directly with Microsoft Office 365 tech support. That is horrible customer service coming from a manager on your support team.

#12 Michael Parkin

Michael Parkin
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

Tino,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I looked into the case notes (there are a lot!) and it appears the problem was/is with Office 365 rewriting the headers.  There seems to have been a lot of back and forth, and quite a bit of communication with Microsoft behind the scenes.  I'll see if I can get anything additional that might provide a solution for you right now.

I did talk to a couple of the folks here in Engineering and Project management and there is a long term solution coming.  We're basically rewriting the Quarantine Notification system so it will send them out in a different format.  That will make the new format mobile friendly and should eliminate the issues you're seeing.

I've asked the support folks if they can give me some more background.  I know they always try to be communicative and keep people in the loop as best they can.

Cheers,

Mike

#13 William Wolf

William Wolf
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

Any update on this issue? We have several clients who are very dissatisfied with US, as we sold them your product as a reliable spam solution, and it is now not usable in their eyes. I can tell them how to manually check their quarantine, but that is unnecessarily convoluted in their eyes. I have been communicating with O365 support, who say they have been communicating with YOUR support, but so far nobody can provide us with any concrete answers.  This has been going on for MONTHS now, and frankly it is a little bit ridiculous. 

#14 Chris Meyer

Chris Meyer
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

I second the request for an update...  Especially since my company is considering changing our domain name which double in size and I fear what that will mean for these notification emails........

#15 Michael Parkin

Michael Parkin
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for your patience.  I'm trying to get an estimated release date from the Product Management team now.  Hopefully, they'll be able to tell me something shortly and I can update.

Cheers,

Mike

#16 Michael Parkin

Michael Parkin
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

OK, to update. . . I spoke with Product Management and we're looking to have the redone Quarantine Notification in production by the end of June.

Again, thanks for your patience here.  I know how frustrating it can be.

Cheers,

Mike

#17 William Wolf

William Wolf
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

OK, to update. . . I spoke with Product Management and we're looking to have the redone Quarantine Notification in production by the end of June.

Again, thanks for your patience here.  I know how frustrating it can be.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the honest update with a timeframe that is actually concrete. I will check back in as that timeframe nears to keep up with this issue. 

#18 Michael Parkin

Michael Parkin
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

Another update:

They went live with the new version last night around 1900 hours, and you should start seeing the new format immediately in the quarantine notification emails.

I haven't personally checked the mobile compatibility yet, but I've seen it on a colleague's device and the new format is much friendlier.

Cheers, and thanks for your patience.

Mike

#19 Jon Woods

Jon Woods
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

We run Exchange on premise with a mix of Outlook 2013 and 2016. and this recent change is horrible.

The vertical spacing and alignment is off and title banner shows as a red X (broken graphic link). From within the message If I choose to 'View in Browser' from the message header "If there are problems with how this message is displayed, click here to view it in a web browser." it renders correctly.

OWA renders the message correctly as well. So it seems to be an issue with how Outlook renders the HTML in a message.

#20 Tino Marquez

Tino Marquez
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

Yes, we are seeing the same thing you are seeing. It also renders correctly when viewing from the default mail applet on my iPhone.