firewall vpn proxy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jean-Claude Moritz

Jean-Claude Moritz
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

Hello Barracuda gang, listen I am having an incredibly hard time managing our schools users from breaking through the Barracuda and I am not sure what to do. We are a BYOD environment and most kids are bringing in Macs. I have noticed that many of them are using Express VPN, Buffered, NordVPN, IP Vanish or ibVPN. I noticed that they use these tools and start watching movies or play games and it is SOOOO frustrating because it slows down the network incredible. Do any of you know how to stop these actions from my students? I have the URL subscription on our firewalls but all these applications to break through. Any suggestions would help. I am at a loss. Thanks!

#2 Steve Vickers

Steve Vickers
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:25 AM

Hi,

in the in Application rules block all VPN, tunnelling and proxy utilities. In the URL filter block proxy and anonymization categories. Then in the access rules, you can block all VPN protocols (IPSec, PPTP, SSH etc). Unfortunately it's difficult to block OpenVPN as it uses port 443 and is based on SSL/TLS so it's not possible to block as a whole without blocking web access, unless you have an internal web proxy, then you can just permit only the web proxy to access the Internet.