I would like to announce the Early Availability of WSA 5.x and iWSA 5.x. Starting today, Barracuda customers have access to this release via Barracuda Cloud Control, navigate to Support > Downloads. Next select Barracuda Web Security from the drop-down list, you will see your download on the right pane. You can click here to be taken to the login page.
WSA version 5 introduces some exciting improvements and features that bring remote filtering into the next generation. Both WSA and iWSA now support client side SSL inspection in PLO mode, this means no longer needing to backhaul traffic to the WSG for SSL traffic control. To utilize these advanced features customers must be running either version 11.0 or 12.0 branch of WSG firmware. Also WSA version 5.x and iWSA 5.x no longer support connection either Classic Web Security Service also known as Flex, nor our current Web Security Service (powered by Zscaler). WSA supports Windows versions 7 and above and iWSA supports MacOS 10.9 and above.
If you would like to provide any feedback or have further questions, please email mailto:WSA-BETA-TESTERS@barracuda.com
What's New in Version 5.0 (Early Release)
To download the Barracuda WSA, visit https://login.barrac...port/downloads/. Select Barracuda Web Security from the drop down section, and download the Barracuda Web Security Agent.
- Client-side SSL inspection - Configured on the Barracuda Web Security Gateway, client-side SSL inspection offloads this processing-intensive feature to the client machine, resulting in improved overall performance of the Barracuda Web Security Gateway. See file://///techlib/display/BWFv60/Client-side+SSL+inspection+with+the+Barracuda+WSA for details. This feature requires running the Barracuda Web Security Gateway version 12.0 or higher.
- Enhanced authentication mechanism with the Barracuda Web Security Gateway - The Barracuda WSA can use certificates you create on, or upload to, the Barracuda Web Security Gateway to verify the identity of the Barracuda Web Security Gateway and ensure that administrative traffic (configuration, policy requests, and logging) is encrypted, both on the local intranet and when roaming on untrusted networks. See file://///techlib/display/WSA/Authentication+with+the+Barracuda+Web+Security+Gateway+and+the+Barracuda+WSA for details. This feature requires running the Barracuda Web Security Gateway version 12.0 or higher.
- The Barracuda Web Security Service is not supported for the Barracuda WSA 5.x and above.
- The Tamper Protection/Watchdog feature is not supported with the Barracuda WSA 5.x and above.
Known Issues in version 5.0:
- First time Barracuda WSA intermittently fails to install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1, which is a prerequisite on Win 7 x 32 machines.
- The installation script will attempt to install the prerequisite .NET framework, in some cases the installation may need to be invoked a second time to complete the installation.
Upgrading to 5.x
To use version 5.x of the Barracuda WSA for windows, there are two options for installation:
- Manually double click on the Barracuda WSA 5.x installer in Windows on the client machine, and proceed with the installation.
- OR -
- Use the GPO installation process to install.
- Important:Beginning with Barracuda WSA version 5.x, there are separate installers for x86 and x64 platforms. If you are running a Windows 32-bit installation, you need to download the x86 installer. For a Windows 64-bit installation, download the 64-bit installer. These two installers are available athttps://login.barrac...port/downloads/ with the Barracuda WSA software as specified below.
Also, please find the iWSA 5.0 Release notes:
What's New in Version 5.0
- Protected features (e.g., stop service, change settings) no longer require a password if none is set on the Barracuda Web Security Gateway ADVANCED > Remote Filtering page. [BNWSA-2258], [BNWSA-2304]
- Blocked HTTPS traffic now shows a block page instead of dropping the connection.
- Improved detection of and recovery from network failures.
- Improved Safe Search and web application monitoring.