ess quarantine notification

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Karl Kemp

Karl Kemp
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

For the second time in as many months, the ESS Quarantine Notification format has changed.  We take great pains to educate our users about indiscriminate 'clicking'.  This means, in early June, we had to put out official notices that the Barracuda ESS Quarantine Notifications had changed formats and could be trusted.  The format appears to have changed again and now, barely a month later, we need to notify our users that the format has changed again.  

This is not an easy adjustment for our users to make.  We try very hard to make sure they are skeptical of changes in their email stream and to NOT trust new email they haven't seen before.  Can someone explain the reason for the changes and let us know if we have any control over content and/or formatting for these notifications?

#2 Mike Chadwick

Mike Chadwick
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

Also, the text on the new notification email is too small and hard to read.

#3 Jeremy Fenolio

Jeremy Fenolio
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

I agree with Karl as we train our users in the same manner. It would also be nice to be notified before the changes take place so we can notify users ahead of time and be able to choose a template to use for quarantine notifications. 

#4 Robert Ziobro

Robert Ziobro
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

I don't like to complain, but I would like to +1 the concerns.  The original view was crappy, but we were used to it.  The second view I liked better because it was bigger and I think people were getting used to it. Now again, I am fielding questions all day if this is legit etc etc.  Some notice or input would be great.  

#5 Kevin Miller

Kevin Miller
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

DITTO With us as well....  I looked for settings to change back and see none?  These types of changes, need NOTIFICATIOINS to be sent out WEEKS ahead of time so end user notification can be done.  My phone is also ringing off the hook. 

#6 Karl Kemp

Karl Kemp
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:53 AM

From looking through other posts, is appears the format changes may be related to problems Barracuda is having with Office365.  Not that it makes it any more reasonable to make these kinds of changes without notification.

Also, I find it odd that no one from Barracuda has posted some sort of response to this.  Surely, they have someone crawling the forums.  

#7 Elliot Montrone

Elliot Montrone
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

I agree with this, notification of format changes should be standard practice.  The first time it happened the notifications omitted the display name (contained only email address) and when I called support they were unable to confirm that any changes were implemented at all.  

#8 Michelle Exner

Michelle Exner

BSF / BESS Moderator

• Moderators
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

Karl,

There really isn't anything we can say here. We make changes to the Email Security Service every 2-3 months. some minor, some major. The change to the notification was initially done to fix a problem with Exchange and O365 customers who could not read the notification. This change resulted in thousands of complaints on the new format where people who didn't have the MS problem wanted the old format back. This latest change is to help make those people happier. It also now lets the notice be read on tablets and smartphones which was not completely possible before. The product will continue to evolve as we move forward.

Comments and complaints in this forum are read and do affect the direction the product moves.

Michelle Exner
Product Lead Support Engineer
Barracuda Email Security
(408) 342-5300

#9 Elliot Montrone

Elliot Montrone
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

Our employees are reporting that the smaller grey typeface is more difficult to read compared to the Black Larger used in previous iterations of the notification.

#10 Karl Kemp

Karl Kemp
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

Thanks, Michael, for the response.  This makes sense and I doubt many of us would seriously object to the product being updated for the reasons stated.  The reason we use and pay for your service is to add a layer of protection for our organizations from threats delivered via email.  It doesn't seem like too much to ask that ESS customer admins be sent change notices in advance, whenever possible.  We can then choose the most appropriate means to prepare our users.  

When we receive an unexpected and unfamiliar email from a source we are accustomed to trusting, it's like hearing the family dog growl at the wrong time.  It puts us on edge and fires the imagination - Is this really from Barracuda? It smells like Barracuda but it doesn't look like Barracuda...  However, if we are notified in advance, we will take it in stride.