Photo

Restore Job for Hyper-V fails and deletes other VM's

hyper-v restore

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph Jozwik

Joseph Jozwik
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

Hello,

I am testing a restoring a VM to Hyper-V 2012  box. 

I deleted the original VM that was backed up and then selected the single VM to restore. 

The restore process failed but beyond that, it removed / destroyed a bunch of other virtual machines that were running on the server.

It did not delete every virtual machine on the host, only 4 of 12.   It appear like the vhd files are still intact but the configuration for those vm's are gone. Luckily the VM's are replicated on another machine but. I am not sure how to deal with this.

Logs:

\Network\HV4
Error 5085: Recoverable snapshot failure, please retry snapshot	 	Rst: Hyper-V Virtual Machines

\Network\HV4\Hyper-V Virtual Machines
Error 5085: Recoverable snapshot failure, please retry snapshot	 	Rst: Offline - Observium
08/29/2017 9:03:07 AM Exception - Original: 2147754995 - 0x800423f3 Mapped:5085 Location:YClientCtx::CheckWriterStatus:C:\jenkins\workspace\ysb\build_win\yosemite\ods\dd\vam\yclientctx.cpp:1569 Description:'The writer experienced a transient error.  If the backup process is retried,  the error may not reoccur.  '
08/29/2017 9:03:07 AM [YManager] Failed to restore container 
08/29/2017 9:03:07 AM [YManager] \Hyper-V Virtual Machines Exception - Original: 2147754995 - 0x800423f3 Mapped:5085 Location:YClientCtx::CheckWriterStatus:C:\jenkins\workspace\ysb\build_win\yosemite\ods\dd\vam\yclientctx.cpp:1569 Description:'The writer experienced a transient error.  If the backup process is retried,  the error may not reoccur.  '

#2 Joe

Joe
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

Is it possible it overwrote the folder that held the VMs you lost?  I have not yet tested a restore of a VM. But I suspect it has more to do with what was selected to restore like the folder and file and possible Hyper-V configuration settings being restore? 

#3 Joseph Jozwik

Joseph Jozwik
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

I confirmed it with support there is a bug that removed the other virtual machines. They sent me a custom build and had me enter a customer restore path

[hyper-v]
flatFileRestorePath=E:\exportvm 

I ran a restore job after this and it did not destroy any of the other vm's on the server. It appears to have restored the data to that folder but the vm still needs to be reattached. 
Also it changed the permission on folder exportvm  so you can't see the folder anymore.. I had to manually navigate to the folder with the address bar which is strange.
I am still working with support.

#4 Allan P Dynes

Allan P Dynes
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

So the only way to recover a VM backup to another location is with a custom build and extra parameters? 

Is this documented somewhere?  I'm attempting to backup some VMs on one server and restore on another and it doesn't seem possible.