iOS VPP app uninstall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Marlowe

Jonathan Marlowe
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

There are times when we need to manually uninstall an application that is pushed via MDM... today, for example, we had an update to an app that, when installed, will crash the app upon start.  I had a spare iPad that wasn't on MDM and it didn't do this.  So, I needed to uninstall it and reinstall, but the app is locked due to some policies in place for home screen and application installs.

How can we do this?  I was working with another user, Josh Metzger, on a different topic (semi-related) to get VPP apps to update.  He mentioned having to do a manual uninstall on over 120 devices, so I knew he wasn't touching them physically.  Here's how we got around it... 

Assign an application to install with a profile and assign that profile to a group.  You will need to use a custom group for the next step.  If you want to remove the application, just remove the device from the group.  It will immediately uninstall.  Then, I usually do a Check-In and Sync.  Once the application shows up missing in that device's list of applications, you can add it back to the custom group.  Once you save, it will install the application again.

One thing I have run into with this procedure is that it sometimes needs a reboot after uninstalling the app (after removing it from the custom group).  Once it comes back up, add it to the custom group and it should come back up with full app defaults.

Hope this helps someone out there... it's not really documented anywhere and it can really give you a headache if you don't know what to do... 

#2 NDF_2

NDF_2
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

I end up creating application groups. Then assigning those groups to devices. Once they are set, find the application and clicking the sync to all button and hoping for the best.

If that doesn't work, removing the device from the group, then doing a check-in/query and saving multiple times work to remove it for the most part. If not, I've given our users the ability to uninstall the app in question.

I feel we're doing the same thing, but yea, not a real documented process.

#3 Jonathan Marlowe

Jonathan Marlowe
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

how do you give users the right to uninstall the app?

#4 NDF_2

NDF_2
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

Under profiles>functionality restrictions.

It's called 'removing applications', just choose yes, save then resync. After that communicate with users to remove it and let you know so you can reinstall/resync it and hope for the best.