MDM End of Life

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Stultz

Joshua Stultz
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

I was told by support that MDM would be end of life in Feb of 2018. Can anyone direct me to some documentation related to this?

#2 Michael Kirby

Michael Kirby
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

I called support after reading this post and was told the same thing.  MDM end of life in 2/2018

#3 Rick Kaczanko

Rick Kaczanko
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

Received an email detailing same this morning.  What does this mean for devices currently enrolled in DEP and Barracuda MDM?

#4 Benjamin Jones

Benjamin Jones
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

Geez.. first Cudatel, now this..  Guess it's time to start phasing out Barracuda all together if we can't rely on them to support their products for the long haul.

#5 Federico Fernandez

Federico Fernandez
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

I heard the same from a colleague

#6 NDF_2

NDF_2
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

Confirmed it with Barracuda, am already looking into pay for services instead. Shame, I was a huge fan of this platform for its price given what we pay for (mail archiver).

#7 Patricia Jarrett

Patricia Jarrett
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:35 AM

I put a call in as well.  I'm waiting for them to get back with me on best practices for removing the 100+ devices I have on MDM with least impact to users.

#8 Steve Baskerville

Steve Baskerville
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:54 AM

We only have about 50 devices, but still a pain. Any thoughts regarding migration to a new MDM, recommendations? 

/Steve

#9 NDF_2

NDF_2
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

We're looking into JAMF Pro since the price point is favorable for educational agencies (nothing beats free) for 200 or so devices.

#10 Patricia Jarrett

Patricia Jarrett
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:48 AM

We're looking into JAMF Pro since the price point is favorable for educational agencies (nothing beats free) for 200 or so devices.

Does it give breaks to Government agencies? (Municipal government)

#11 NDF_2

NDF_2
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

Does it give breaks to Government agencies? (Municipal government)

It's worth a try. Give JAMF a call or send a quote request and see if they will do the same for gov't agencies.

#12 Jonathan Marlowe

Jonathan Marlowe
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

This is bad news... I won't say it was the greatest solution, but it certainly worked well, especially for the price... I'm going to do some shopping, but I think we should all put down the options out there and what our opinions are... here's what I have so far:

Miradore - I used this prior to going to Barracuda.  They have a free offering, but it's fairly slim as far as options.  The price to pay isn't that bad, though. Free allows you to enforce passcode, lock/wipe, push wifi and email, plus minor reporting for unlimited devices.  Going to business (0.50 per device) gets you location tracking, restriction policies, and support.  However, I ended up going to Enterprise ($2 per) because I needed application management, file deployment, and full business policies.  It's a really good product, from my experience.  I think the price is pretty competitive and I've dealt with support with good success.

JAMF - There are two types of accounts.  NOW ($2) and PRO ($3.33 per ios/tvos and $6.67 per Mac) are the different tiers.  I like how they have the ability to manage all apple devices, not just iOS ones.  It may come in handy and the first three are free on the NOW option.  Pro says there is a 50-seat minimum for commercial, 100 for education.  I don't know if this is a bare minimum for all business or just for some sort of commercial discount.  I do not have 50 seats, so I don't know if this will work for me.  The differences between the two are vast, so a talk with customer service may be in your best interest.  For me, the Pro seems like a good place because of support for tvOS, home screen layout customizations on iPad, deploying in house apps, deploy updates on BYOD devices (NOW is DEP only), integration with Active Directory, and phone support.

Cisco Meraki MDM - this is one of those that, like barracuda, is probably better if you are already on the vendor's infrastructure. Meraki lets you manage everything, not just android/ios.  I could not find pricing on their website, but I have had a bad taste for Meraki since I found out that you have to pay annually to even use the infrastructure at all.  If you don't pay for support on most devices, you just don't get updates, phone calls, etc.  With Meraki stuff, it just quits working.  That's bad for us.  Maybe someone else can chime in here... 

Maas360 - I don't know a lot about this one, but I'm interested in taking a deeper dive due to the integration with SpiceWorks.  I've been using SpiceWorks as our ticketing and inventory system for years and really dig it.  It's free but the community is really strong.  Did a little digging and it looks like SW has stepped away from MDM.  Sounds familiar :(

Are there any others out there that anyone is familiar with?  I'd love to get some pricing and trials started asap.

For reference, here is the blog for EOL announcement: https://blog.barracu...device-manager/