Support multiple SMTP relays for admin alerts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob Leifman

Jacob Leifman
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:21 PM

Currently the system supports only one relay, a.k.a. "Outbound SMTP Host (Smart Host)". In the age of redundant connectivity, this seems like a serious shortcoming. Witness the following scenario: we are a public school district that often partners with our municipality on IT resources, so we each have an MA-850 which together form a cluster. For the most part the cluster works well providing backup and redundancy to both organizations. However it comes up short due to a single (uniform) configuration on both units and only one supported mail relay. So when something happens in the one datacenter that includes the solitary mail relay, we do not get a timely alert from the other Archiver, instead the alert arrives after the fact once all services are restored in the affected facility. In short, this configuration deficiency creates a single point of failure defeating some of the benefits of the multi-node cluster.

#2 Maxwell Lazaroff

Maxwell Lazaroff
  • Moderators
  • 548 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

Seems reasonable, I created a feature request for this. The internal reference number is BNMA-17704. If you ever talk to a sales or support tech, you can give them that number and they can pull up the status for you.

Thanks,
Maxwell Lazaroff

Barracuda Message Archiver
Technical Delivery Manager

#3 Maxwell Lazaroff

Maxwell Lazaroff
  • Moderators
  • 548 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

One of my engineers also noticed that if you have a load balancer, you can put it so that smart host traffic goes to the load balancer, and then that cycles to the smart hosts. I'm not sure if that's feasible for you, but it would work.

Thanks,
Maxwell Lazaroff

Barracuda Message Archiver
Technical Delivery Manager