Photo

Firmware 6.4.05.10018 screwed up SQL backups. Anyone else?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Huff

Chris Huff
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:06 AM

Prior to installing this FW, my hourly SQL backup jobs had been running flawlessly. Immediately after, they completely stopped backing up. Each hour it would say 0 bytes and complete without error, whereas previously it was backing up 1.6GB each hour. Anyone else seeing similar issues? Support has been no help

#2 David Waller

David Waller
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

That's strange, I don't even see that firmware version available.  I'm on 6.4.04.10019 and the only version I see is a beta version of 6.4.05.10020.

#3 David Galbo

David Galbo
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

I have had a similar issue after I upgraded my firmware.  It now tells me that it is "Unable to perform differential backup: an external program has made a full backup of this database.  Please run a full backup before attempting another differential backup."  I have not opened a ticket with support yet as I was going to upgrade to the latest agent to see if that made a difference.

#4 Chris Huff

Chris Huff
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:52 AM

That's strange, I don't even see that firmware version available.  I'm on 6.4.04.10019 and the only version I see is a beta version of 6.4.05.10020.

Ya, looks like they pulled it. I went to 10020 to see if it helped but still no dice. I've not had a SQL backup in 10 days now. I'm screwed if we have an outage and need to restore...

#5 Scott Studer

Scott Studer
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

Prior to installing this FW, my hourly SQL backup jobs had been running flawlessly. Immediately after, they completely stopped backing up. Each hour it would say 0 bytes and complete without error, whereas previously it was backing up 1.6GB each hour. Anyone else seeing similar issues? Support has been no help

We're having the same issue.. I saw this on the firmware release notes [BNBS-16331] Differential SQL VSS backups should display the changed size and not the full database size. However, this is happening on my VDI backups, not my VSS backups. All my VDIs are showing 0 bytes on my hourly backups. They used to be 1gb or so every hour. SQL is still showing it's backing up just fine in the logs, so I'm wondering if this is just Barracuda giving misleading information and SQL is actually backing up properly. Haven't tried a restore yet though. They need to fix that ASAP, it's very misleading. 

#6 Chris Huff

Chris Huff
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:44 AM

We're having the same issue.. I saw this on the firmware release notes [BNBS-16331] Differential SQL VSS backups should display the changed size and not the full database size. However, this is happening on my VDI backups, not my VSS backups. All my VDIs are showing 0 bytes on my hourly backups. They used to be 1gb or so every hour. SQL is still showing it's backing up just fine in the logs, so I'm wondering if this is just Barracuda giving misleading information and SQL is actually backing up properly. Haven't tried a restore yet though. They need to fix that ASAP, it's very misleading. 

You are 100% correct. It took them long enough to fix it but this was their response:

To update you, you were affected by bug BNBS-34054. This bug is a reporting issue in the Firmware/UI.

VDI backups will not properly reflect the amount of data backed up. So you see 0bytes with green backup when really we were backing up data and it was healthy. It was just reporting incorrectly.

#7 David Waller

David Waller
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:43 AM

I actually stopped using the Barracuda Agent to perform my SQL backups.  I do all SQL backups via SQL Management Studio Agent jobs (Full, Diff, TRN).  I then have Barracuda just come along and pick up those files.  I was getting too many errors from Barracuda, I just didn't trust it anymore.

#8 Corey King

Corey King
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:06 PM

Same problem here running 6.4.04.10019

#9 Stephen Bauer

Stephen Bauer
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:01 PM

Having the same issues with firmware 6.4.05.10020.