• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DukeLeto

DukeLeto
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

I have an issue I don't know how to resolve, as I am only half-technical: E-mail does not get routed through the Barracuda, but instead goes straight to mail.mydomain.com.

We have recently changed mail hosting providers and that's when the trouble started.

We currently have the Barracuda set up as MX 10 at barracuda.mydomain.com with MX 20 mail.mydomain.com.

The Barracuda is in a DMZ on a different network and using different IP configuration settings. Until changing hosting providers, we had everything from the same ISP (Barracuda IP, VPS IP, Internet IP). I don't know why I'm mentioning this, I'm not sure if it could affect the situation in any way, but anyway.

Maybe someone has any idea what's going on? Is there any other information I could provide?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

#2 Jaybone

Jaybone
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

MX costs are only used by "nice" senders.  If you have smtp ports open, spammers *will* send to endpoint, regardless of MX priority (or existence, for that matter.)

If legit mail is flowing to the higher cost MX, it's generally due to the lower cost one not be accessible to them.  The reason could be a number of things, but since you mention that you changed ISP, the first things to check would be:

DNS - does the A record for barracuda.mydomain.com resolve to the correct IP?

Firewall(s) - does whatever is sitting between your Barracuda and the internet actually allow smtp traffic through?

ISP - is the new ISP blocking smtp traffic?