• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen Yu

Stephen Yu
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

We have a 610 Web Security appliance.

We have run into a problem when accessing Box.com cloud storage while HTTPS filtering is turned on. Starting on June 1st, our users were no longer able to preview or download files on Box. When they clicked on a file to preview it they would receive a message that said "We're sorry, the preview didn't load. This document may be protected". This happened when accessing all files. When they tried to download files they would click and nothing would happen. After much effort in trying to get Box to help troubleshoot this issue to no avail, we tried disabling HTTPS filtering on Barracuda which cured the Box problem. We are now unfiltered on all HTTPS traffic which is not ok, so we need to resolve this issue.

Anyone out there using HTTPS filtering on a 610 or other appliance with Box.com users? If so, did anything break on June 1st?

#2 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

I recently ran into this as well and posted about it on the NextGen firewall sub

https://community.ba...ccount/?p=85964

Not surprisingly nobody responded because that about what you can expect around here anymore. Anyway, after googling about it I found that I had to explicitly allow several root domains to enable my users to download from Box.com

Here is what I found on Box.com. The one that I was missing in my whitelist on the firewall was boxcloud.com. As soon as I added that to the list I was able to preview and download files again.

1. Use our site's domain names instead of a particular site IP address as IP addresses can change frequently and without notice. Please configure hostnames to recognize any sub-domain of:

• *.box.com

• *.boxcloud.com

• *.boxlocalhost.com

• *.box.net

• *.boxcdn.net

• *.boxrelay.com

#3 Stephen Yu

Stephen Yu
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

Hey thanks for responding.

We use Checkpoint firewalls and we've been through them every which way to make sure nothing at Box is blocked, including dl.boxcloud.com. What's odd is that Box has been working fine for a couple of years, playing nicely with our firewalls and Barracuda with HTTPS filtering enabled until sometime between May 30th and June 1st. When our users logged into Box on June 1st they saw that all of their files were showing as last modified by "Box". This seems to happen when Box makes some change on their end. From that point forward they could not preview or download. It's almost like it's a timing issue. Like Box made a change and now Box doesn't like whatever latency might be added with HTTPS filtering in Barracuda? Not sure.

#4 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:22 PM

Hey Stephen,

We don't use Box a lot, most of our clients/customers tend to favor dropbox for some reason. Regardless of that though, we hadn't seen any issues with it until around the time frame you mention. What's odd as I mentioned in my post is that I wasn't seeing anything obvious in the logs to clarify what the issue was. Adding that one additional explicit host/domain name is what cleared it up for me.