• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marco Coleco

Marco Coleco
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

Hi

I am a newbie looking for some tech help on setting up the X with a static network. I have been given the following and am trying to create this on P2 as a static address;

Outside Subnet: 185.XX.XX.248/31  - This is the range your router/firewall connects to us on.

ISP IP: 185.XX.XX.248/31 - This should be used as the default gateway for your router/firewall.

Your IP: 185.XX.XX.249/31 - This IP should go to your router/firewall's external interface

Inside Subnet: 185.XX.XX.56/29 - This is the range for your servers. You should configure your router/firewall's internal interface to have one of the IPs on this range (your choice) and then configure your servers to have their default gateway set to the IP of this range you have configured your firewall/router to.

I'm assuming I am going about this the right way from what I have read and creating this on P2 but every time I try to create this I get an error saying "IP conflicts with network or broadcast address".

Like I said I am a newbie and want to learn and understand subnetting and am doing some hard reading currently but any help in pointing me in the right direction would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Marco

#2 Gavin Chappell

Gavin Chappell
  • Moderators
  • 441 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

Is it possible that this needs to be configured as a PPP/PPPoA/PPPoE link? A traditional Ethernet link can't use a /31 subnet mask because it's missing a broadcast address and Ethernet is a broadcast medium, as well as missing the network address (which is causing your conflict).

#3 Marco Coleco

Marco Coleco
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:34 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply..

I have found PPPoE in dynamic interface configuration, however as this is a defined static address from the ISP and there is nowhere for that to be entered, how does the connection know of the routing for this?.  Will the end point announce the IP and configure the connection?. Again still reading up on this and sorry if the questions sound stupid but really do appreciate the help.

Cheers

Marco

#4 Gavin Chappell

Gavin Chappell
  • Moderators
  • 441 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:49 AM

Although it's listed under dynamic interface configuration, this just refers to connections that use a dynamic protocol such as DHCP or PPP/IPCP. It may be that your ISP will use a dynamic configuration protocol to always give you the same IP address - this is what my ISP does. I have to use PPPoE, but they simply assign me the same IP every time I connect and authenticate.