Photo

VMDK Backups

VMDK Agentless ESXi vCenter VM

Best Answer Michael Manning, 11 September 2018 - 10:21 AM

I image you are seeing what should be expected as the appliance is reflecting what VMware defines as the provisioned space. Basically it is showing you the properties of the disk. However, the backup is only backing up used space during a full (I think), and changes during incremental backups. And as Chris Huff points out, de-duplication will cut that utilized space way back as only the unique blocks are actually retained.

My file server is thick provisioned 2TB, and is shown in the restore browser as such, but only a small fraction of space is taken on the backup appliance.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Daniel

Seth Daniel
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

I am running agent-less (host-based) backups for my VM environment through my vCenter server for 4 ESXi hosts. When looking through the restore browser for an individual VM, it lists each partition in its entirety, not the space being utilized in each partition. For example, my file server is utilizing 600GB on a 1TB drive, but the drive is listed as 1TB in the restore browser. My question is: Is this backup taking up 1TB of space on my Barracuda?

Thank you for any info you can provide!

#2 Chris Huff

Chris Huff
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:09 AM

With deduplication it's likely a LOT less. I have a 10TB backup set that's only taking up 1.16TB

#3 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:21 AM   Best Answer

I image you are seeing what should be expected as the appliance is reflecting what VMware defines as the provisioned space. Basically it is showing you the properties of the disk. However, the backup is only backing up used space during a full (I think), and changes during incremental backups. And as Chris Huff points out, de-duplication will cut that utilized space way back as only the unique blocks are actually retained.

My file server is thick provisioned 2TB, and is shown in the restore browser as such, but only a small fraction of space is taken on the backup appliance.

#4 Seth Daniel

Seth Daniel
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:37 AM

Thanks Michael Manning and Chris Huff for the information. I believe that answers my questions!