4 replies to this topic

#1 JeWe

JeWe
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGermany, NDS

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hi,

we use a F400 firewall with latest software release. We are a small university and I want to block movie streaming (not all, but at least the illegal streams).

I could use the URL filter, but there are so many sites and it seems that there are several new ones from day to day. Waht would be best practice to block the illegal streams?

URL category "Streaming Radio / TV" won't work for this.

#2 Stefan Hora

Stefan Hora
  • Barracuda Guru
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:27 AM

You could also try to create a "Media Streaming" Application Filter and use that to block via Application Rules.
1. via right mouse click in Forwarding Rules/applications select new/Application Filter and select "Media Streaming" in the top left popup window.

2. save that as application, e.g. Media_Streaming_Filter and create a block Rule in the Application Rules (in Front of the WF Rule) and select this application.

I don't know if the illegal streams are on the list.

Another way would be to create a custom web application object with **.to (you need at least 5 letters) as URL Host and use that in a block rule if most of the illegal Sites are hosted on *.to.

#3 JeWe

JeWe
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGermany, NDS

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for your answer.

Blocking "Media Streaming" means more complaints then I need, also illegal streaming isn't covered with this.

>> Another way would be to create a custom web application object with **.to (you need at least 5 letters) as URL Host and use that in a block rule if most of the illegal Sites are hosted on *.to.

Can you explain this more in detail?  I can't use jokers like ***.to in the custom URL. Just typing ".to" won't work.  Nevertheless this could be an approach.

EDIT: The categories could looked up here: http://barracudacentral.org/lookups/lookup-reputation

#4 Stefan Hora

Stefan Hora
  • Barracuda Guru
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:02 AM

Not in the Webfilter/Custom Urls. There you can only use hosts or domains, no wildcards.

Go into Forwarding Rules/Applications and instead of creating an application filter create a "Custom Application" then select Web browsing" and as URL Host add **.to (*.to does not work because it is to short).
You can add multiple hosts/urls in that application using wildcard.

Category/Risk/Properties: you can fill what you want. That is just for the statistics/monitoring page.

And then create an Application Block Rule and select that custom application in that rule.

#5 JeWe

JeWe
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGermany, NDS

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:45 AM

Ok, got it. Thank you, makes it a little bit easier.

If anyone got more ideas, please let me know.