Photo

Backup laptop to cloud only, and not local appliance. Help requested.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly Adkison

Kelly Adkison
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 02:11 PM

Fellow techs,

Good day.

I know this may be a silly and simple question, however I'm somewhat unfamiliar with Barracuda's vernacular on certain things.

Long story short, I'm with an MSP, and I have multiple executives whom exclusively use their laptops and in a mobile fashion,

and their laptops need to be backed up, as they process content that is not local to network server shares.

A great deal of their content is outside the scope of standard content, IE MP3's, gigs of photos, family movies etc. Since space on the local appliance is limit, is there

a way to specifically and only have the backup agent on those laptops, upload to their cloud storage? Essentially bypassing the local appliance, and just dumping their content within the cloud, such as a carbonite or mozy for example.

I have read up on vaulting, however that appears to be geared towards long term archives, and not backups.

Can anybody provide me with a simple breakdown if this is possible or not?

Thanks!

#2 Chris Huff

Chris Huff
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:55 AM

Someone chime in if I'm wrong, but I believe all backups must backup to the appliance, and then it's the revisions you can play with where they go. Daily and weekly are local and offsite, but monthly can be switched to offsite only. 

#3 Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:11 AM

Agreed! Backing up laptops or other mobile(ios/android) devices only to the cloud would be very helpful with today's mobile workforce. Maybe this could be accomplished via a backup agent app similar to what Acronis offers. Please consider this as a request.