Uptick in spoofed emails requesting information

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Maurice

Maurice
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:45 AM

In the past two months we have seen a significant increase in spoofed emails coming in to our organization, seemingly sent "from" actual employees but with random reply to email addresses.   These often have something along the lines of "I need you do to me a favor", and if people respond, they get a request to purchase a gift card or such.

We have alerted all of our folks to be on the lookout for these types of messages.   But of course, we have been asked if there is anything we can do on the Barracuda end to help stop messages such as this.   The messages are typically so vague and generic that we can't really setup rules to block anything in them, without catching legitimate messages as well.

Has anyone found a solution to helping stop these types of messages?

Thanks

#2 Gregory Colwell

Gregory Colwell
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:18 PM

I'm also having the same type issues.  I can track some of them to servers or domains but what do I do with that information?  Normally just looks like some company's email server/service gets hacked.  Someone is putting some effort into this because they know the names of CEO and his assistants.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle these type of attacks?

#3 BRIAN RODBURG

BRIAN RODBURG
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:22 AM

perhaps a feature request to Barracuda?  something that enables the ESS to add a [Warning] to the subject line if the "From Name" doesn't match the "From User Email Address"?