cold spare

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Quilson Bejarano

Quilson Bejarano
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:45 AM

What would be the procedure to replace a failed equipment with a cold spare while the warranty device arrives back?
and what would be the procedure to change the cold spare for the RMA that arrived from the factory

Best Regards

Quilson

#2 opjose

opjose
  • Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C. Area

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:54 AM

Hopefully you made a recent configuration backup to a local machine.

Set up the replacement unit to the point it has internet access.

Update it to the same revision as your configuration backup.

Restore your configuration backup.

Done bu you may still have some licensing issues as these do not get transferred nor does Barracuda allow for spare replacement license transfers.

Been there done that.

Note: your configuration backup must correspond to the same firmware revision. I found this out the hard way.

#3 Russell Gunn

Russell Gunn
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:31 PM

I've had the same issue. Support was excellent though. I ended up creating a Hyper-V version ESG and used my backup to re-create my system. Ran on this until the new box arrived, 8 weeks later!!  The big issue with this is that the backup doesn't restore any emails stuck in quarantine but it does restore the fact that users did have quarantined emails. So when the user accessed their quarantine mailbox it was empty even though the system thought it had 3 or 4 etc in there. It's not a perfect solution but it does get you back up and running