Exemptions for HIPAA Content Filtering

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Contumelio

Michael Contumelio
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:05 PM

Our predefined HIPAA content filter is being triggered due partially to content in our e-mail signatures. Pretty much all e-mail signatures are going to contain at least one phone number and these phone numbers should not apply to the predefined filters (at least in my case). I recognize that an e-mail signature is part of the message body so exempting signatures is not going to be likely, but I feel as though I should be able exempt our company phone numbers and address from this. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Barracuda has not incorporated something like this. So, my feature request is to be able to exempt certain phone number and street addresses from the HIPAA predefined content filter.

#2 Paul Davis

Paul Davis
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

From what I understand, the ESG parses the email as plain text, regardless of source formatting. Were it to parse and read HTML markup, it could read a <p id=signature></p> tags at the beginning and end of the signature block and ignore that block of text.

#3 Steve Braaten

Steve Braaten
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAlbany, OR

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:55 PM

This feature has been added and is usable within our Barracuda Email Security Gateway.  The exceptions can be added within from within the domain under Outbound Settings->Content Policies then at the very bottom there is a section called "Predefined Filter Exceptions".

Unfortunately this is limited to only phone numbers and addresses.  We wish we could add email domains within this exception area as well, but for now that is not an option.

-Steve