Load Balancer ADC 440

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Val

Val
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:00 PM

We have LB 440 where HTTP(S) services are configured to use "Default failure response" as "Last Resort Action".

According to the docs it's supposed to return "503 default error page" response in case if all back-end servers are down/unavailable.

But it returns "Connection Reset" with empty response. This is the response using curl:

* Recv failure: Connection was reset
* Curl_http_done: called premature == 1
* Closing connection 0

Firmware: 6.3.0.005

#2 Frank Bulk

Frank Bulk
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:35 PM

Does the same thing happen with both HTTP and HTTPS?

#3 Aravindan Anandan

Aravindan Anandan
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:03 AM

If the service type is HTTPS or HTTP, a page with 503 status is sent by the ADC. However, if you are load balancing https traffic using a layer4 service type, then the client will disconnect. From your description, it looks like the service type in your case is layer4. If thats not the case, it would be useful to create a support case with adcsupport_team@barracuda.com and have one of our engineers look into the issue.

#4 Val

Val
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

Yes, it happens with both HTTP and HTTPS configurations.

My configuration is very simple:

Service type is selected as HTTP or HTTPS.

Two back-end servers are specified with their IP and port.

"Last Resort Action" is "Default failure response".

When both back-end servers are down the ADC resets connection instead of returning 503 error page.

#5 Aravindan Anandan

Aravindan Anandan
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:55 PM

This is not expected behavior. I request that you raise a ticket with adcsupport_team@barracuda.com and let them look into the issue. Or if you can leave your email address here, I can raise the ticket and have them connect with you.