Photo

ESG system backups, cloud - how do I see them?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:01 PM

Subject line may be confusing. Our ESG died this morning, an instant replacement is on the way and should be here first thing in the morning. I backup up the system config on prem a while ago, but I should have more recently backed up to the cloud (I think) - how can I see a record of that so I can see how recently that was? Or do I just have to wait until the new system shows up and see what I can restore then?

#2 opjose

opjose
  • Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C. Area

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:06 PM

Once you get the replacement and set it up to access the Internet, you should be able to select restore from Cloud Backup for the configuration.

But there is a "gotcha" with this. The backup and the replacement unit MUST be at exactly the same firmware revision for the cloud backup to work.

I found this out the hard way when I could not restore from a cloud backup.

So now I always make a new local backup and a backup to local ftp every time I permit a firmware update, that way I have a backup for every different version, in case I get an ESG replacement with an older default firmware.

#3 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:19 PM

Once you get the replacement and set it up to access the Internet, you should be able to select restore from Cloud Backup for the configuration.

But there is a "gotcha" with this. The backup and the replacement unit MUST be at exactly the same firmware revision for the cloud backup to work.

I found this out the hard way when I could not restore from a cloud backup.

So now I always make a new local backup and a backup to local ftp every time I permit a firmware update, that way I have a backup for every different version, in case I get an ESG replacement with an older default firmware.

Yeah, I'm concerned about that version issue. I haven't updated firmware in a while because of all the complaints about the daily quarantine email, etc. I'm worried the replacement will come through with most recent and I'll run into trouble. 

#4 opjose

opjose
  • Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C. Area

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

Two things:

I've kept my system up to date and have not seen lost quarantine inbox contents, etc. due to firmware updates.

The times I received replacements, I have not seen the replacement arrive with the very latest firmware. Usually it is a few revisions behind.

#5 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:29 PM

I usually keep everything current, but I was concerned about this:

"Barracuda will be rolling out a new EA firmware version, 8.0.3.003 beginning the week of January 22nd.  As a result of a security vulnerability, customers updating to firmware version 8.0.3.003 will experience a change in behavior to quarantine notification emails.  End users will no longer have the ability to click on a link in the quarantine notification email to log directly into a quarantine inbox without the use of a password.  Please notify your end users of this change before updating the firmware on your Email Security Gateway.  "

My appliance was on 8.0.3.002, and I was just about to bump up to the most recent since that feature can be overridden in the most recent if I understood the notes correctly. Then BAM the drive failed. 

#6 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:54 PM

FedEx dropped the ball. Had to spin up a v300 vm eval in the meantime. Should see the replacement tomorrow.

#7 Thibaud Maes

Thibaud Maes
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

Ask Barracuda.

I had a similar issue with a WAF, except for the Cloud thing.

I had a v7.9 backup, sent it over to them and they sent it back to me ready for v9.2.

Maybe they can access your cloud backup file and prepare it for you in the same way.

Good luck!

#8 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:53 PM

So here's how it played out - I spun up the v300 eval virtual machine while I was waiting for the hardware to be delivered. I clicked on Advanced > Backups and scrolled down to Restore Backups and clicked to view all backups in the cloud. Nothing. Fortunately I had a year old local backup still on prem. I figured maybe I hadn't actually backed up to the cloud like I thought.

So today when the hardware showed up, I did both a local and cloud backup just to be sure. Fired up the new hardware, connected to cloud control, clicked Advanced . Backups, etc. and low and behold, nothing. I was able to restore the local backup, but there was nothing available through the 'cloud'. So these cloud backups are for what then, merely to roll back or something?