Lots of SPAM getting thru recently

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Meisinger

Chris Meisinger
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

For the past couple weeks I am noticing a huge amount of SPAM getting thru the filtersz.  They usually start up around 10:00 a.m. and go thru early afternoon.  It's so much that I can't possibly block it all.  My users are starting to get very annoyed with the amounts coming in to their inbox.  Did something change recently?  I am on the latest firmware & updates.

Thanks

Chris

#2 Johnny Lee Conroy

Johnny Lee Conroy
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:36 AM

We have noticed exactly the same thing.  Many of our staff are reporting a significant increase in spam messages getting through to their inboxes in the past several weeks.  We are wondering if it's related to the latest firmware update.  (We updated from 8.0.4.002 to 8.1.0.003 on December 20th.)  One of the enhancements listed in the release notes for 8.1.0.002 is "Spam accuracy improvements [BNSF-28017]".  It seems possible that these changes are actually allowing a lot more spam messages through.

We have tightened the spam scoring setting in response, changing it from 3.0 to 2.0.  This will help some, but a lot of what's getting through is scored quite a bit lower than that.

Johnny Lee

#3 Chris Meisinger

Chris Meisinger
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

Yes that could be.  a lot are showing a score of under 1.0.  I have mine set at 4 since lowering it to 3 did block some valid email but I don't think 3 would block a lot that is coming in. 

Barracuda please fix this!!!! 

#4 Erin Farnam

Erin Farnam
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:14 PM

Same for us. It started 2 days ago. We are unable to catch most of it because the scores are so low.

I upgraded from 8.0.3 to 8.1.0.003 yesterday because of the 'SPAM accuracy improvements' as well - hoping it would help. (It didn't.)

So I don't think it's the new version that is the culprit.

#5 Forrest Mook

Forrest Mook
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:44 PM

I'm seeing the same thing, not firmware related.  Basically every day there end up being 2-3 IP subnets that hammer our spam filter with thousands of junk email messages.  Tomorrow it will be 2-3 different IP subnets.  My defense is a combination of outright blocking of various colo-hosting provider IP allocations that seem to be repeat offenders, setting the "rate control" feature in the Barracuda to a fairly low number, blocking servers missing reverse DNS entries, and when all that fails logging into the Barracuda every morning and just manually blocking the offending IP address subnets of the day. 

#6 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

I've noticed it too, but had written it off to the fact we had a replacement unit and I needed to train the Bayesian (yeah I still use global bayesian). We see a bunch of spam about space heaters and warm winter jackets and pants. At least it's seasonally appropriate I guess?