Outlook plugin online mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John Nicholas Hilario

John Nicholas Hilario
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:19 AM

Hi we have a VDI environment and we wish to offload the email archives on users VDI desktops. When the users use the outlook plugin, the plugin caches their archives on their user profiles. We wish to use the outlook plugin where it will not cache the archive in the user's profile.

#2 Cain Random

Cain Random
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

John,

You can use the ADMX included with our deployment kit to configure where users' archives are stored via GPO.

#3 John Nicholas Hilario

John Nicholas Hilario
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:26 AM

Hi, i do not want the plugin to store any data at all. As if when the plugin loads, it loads a real-time view of what the users archive in bma or a "web view"

#4 Cain Random

Cain Random
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:32 AM

John,

We don't currently support that scenario, but you can use the add-in's search tool to browse a specific folder's contents.  You can also use the archiving service's Web UI to browse folders without storing information on the machine.

#5 Cain Random

Cain Random
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

I've opened a feature request for the behavior you've described.  Please refer to issue BNMA-20514 for updates.  

The most likely way to provide what you've asked for would be to integrate folders into the Outlook Instant Search integration that we offer-- currently, that store doesn't show any folders, but we could add them there and allow you to browse them.

#6 John Nicholas Hilario

John Nicholas Hilario
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

I've opened a feature request for the behavior you've described. Please refer to issue BNMA-20514 for updates.

The most likely way to provide what you've asked for would be to integrate folders into the Outlook Instant Search integration that we offer-- currently, that store doesn't show any folders, but we could add them there and allow you to browse them.

Cain can give me a link for the above mentioned work around

#7 Cain Random

Cain Random
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:53 AM

John,

Sorry for the confusion-- I was describing how we might implement what you asked for.  There's no way to show folders in the "Search Archive" store currently.

#8 John Nicholas Hilario

John Nicholas Hilario
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:03 AM

I see, the goal is to offload the capacity the archives are consuming on a VDI desktop in general. So if there is a mode where the outlook plugin can show the content of user's archive in BMA. This is how Veritas Enterprise Vault's plugin behaves for your reference.

#9 John Nicholas Hilario

John Nicholas Hilario
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:06 PM

Hi any updates on this feature request?

#10 Maxwell Lazaroff

Maxwell Lazaroff
  • Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

Hi John,

We still need to evaluate, plan, and develop the feature. At this time, we do not have at timeframe to share with you. I would recommend calling in to support or sales in a few months and asking them to check the feature (BNMA-20514) to see if there are any updates. Our typical development cycle is around 3-4 months.

Thanks,
Maxwell Lazaroff

Barracuda Message Archiver
Technical Delivery Manager