Anyone picking up Phone system support?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Paustian

Richard Paustian
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:33 AM

Has the new owner of Barracuda (Thoma Brava) considered selling the phone system to some other entity to continue the product line and/ or support? What happened to the philosophy of "a phone system for IT built by IT."

I have become quite leary of purchasing any other Barracuda products since the company just threw the phone system and support out of the window forcing us to look for other solutions.

#2 Scott Walker

Scott Walker
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

We've sworn off all things Barracuda. It was a pretty big disruption to our business for Barracuda to abruptly stop providing support on a system we had already invested in. They won't even provide the firmware update that was available at the time our support expired. Essentially they are refusing to provide something that we paid for.

#3 Justin Reiners

Justin Reiners
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

We have as well, I have 6 NG firewalls, 2X NG F300, 2x NG F200, 2x NG F100's across my org, and we also had the cudatel.

We recently replaced the cudatel with 3cx which went well, but now my NG Firewalls are all running extremely slow and NG Admin just hangs.

I've licensed all my devices, but many of them still say unlicensed, I don't know what the hell is going on, but now I am shopping for firewalls too.

UBNT's 16 core box looks really nice, and it's comparable in price to the NG when I bought it. I'll be happy to get away from NG Admin.

#4 Gavin Chappell

Gavin Chappell
  • Moderators
  • 402 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:17 AM

Hey Justin,

We have as well, I have 6 NG firewalls, 2X NG F300, 2x NG F200, 2x NG F100's across my org, and we also had the cudatel.

We recently replaced the cudatel with 3cx which went well, but now my NG Firewalls are all running extremely slow and NG Admin just hangs.

Please don't see this as simply making an excuse; but the NG F100/F200/F300 models are based on VIA CPUs which completely prioritise low power consumption over performance. I don't know what environment you're using them in, but my opinion is that they simply don't scale at all well. We stopped selling them all in 2015 for this very reason, they're very much end of life at this point.

If you've had active subscriptions on them for several years and are otherwise happy with the feature set that the firewall offers, it would definitely be worth your while speaking to Sales/Renewals to see if there's any kind of deal they can cut you to upgrade your hardware - the modern equivalent of those models (which I would see as the F12/F18 models, maybe up to an F80 for the F300 replacements depending on whether they can be rack mounted) are based around better performing CPUs and storage, so they really are worlds apart from the old F100/F200/F300 models even though I believe they're roughly the same price point. I've run other firewall distributions such as pfSense on similar VIA hardware, and to be frank, everything performs poorly on them. They're a 2005 CPU design heavily biased towards low power consumption, they won't work for everyone's use case.

I've licensed all my devices, but many of them still say unlicensed, I don't know what the hell is going on, but now I am shopping for firewalls too.

Did you open a Support case about this? I know we have had some issues in the past with older boxes failing to license themselves automatically, however if this fails then you should be able to install the license files manually as a one-off operation.

UBNT's 16 core box looks really nice, and it's comparable in price to the NG when I bought it. I'll be happy to get away from NG Admin.

I generally like Ubiquiti products and use Unifi access points both personally and in our branch office - but I haven't heard great things about their other product ranges in professional environments. Read into that what you will, working for a firewall vendor there is likely to be some bias in my opinion...

#5 Justin Reiners

Justin Reiners
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:19 AM

Gavin,

We've had a frustratingly long list of open tickets and long unresolved issues we just started living with. EMEA was very nice to work with when support fell through.

When we purchased the firewalls, we worked with sales and were sized at that time. My F10's and F100 have been solid devices as well for their small environments.

My colo had F400's and they were much better devices I will admit, but our F300's have been terrible. It gets to the point SIP starts sounding like it drops 20% of the packets. Road warrior connections stop working, and requires reboots regularly as triage, all while blinking license expired. We tried getting it fixed about 6 months ago with support but gave up.

I already made the XG-8 purchase, and I'll be switching it over after config, our network is fairly simple in topology, where we just need subnets, and a high port count.

#6 Gavin Chappell

Gavin Chappell
  • Moderators
  • 402 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:39 AM

Gavin,

We've had a frustratingly long list of open tickets and long unresolved issues we just started living with. EMEA was very nice to work with when support fell through.

When we purchased the firewalls, we worked with sales and were sized at that time. My F10's and F100 have been solid devices as well for their small environments.

My colo had F400's and they were much better devices I will admit, but our F300's have been terrible. It gets to the point SIP starts sounding like it drops 20% of the packets. Road warrior connections stop working, and requires reboots regularly as triage, all while blinking license expired. We tried getting it fixed about 6 months ago with support but gave up.

I already made the XG-8 purchase, and I'll be switching it over after config, our network is fairly simple in topology, where we just need subnets, and a high port count.

The NextGen/CloudGen Firewalls are a European product - we train the US support teams as well as we can, but the EMEA support folk have more opportunity to talk to the QA/development staff and it's difficult to find a training-based equivalent to that access. Your experience of US support probably isn't typical, but the EMEA guys are definitely great to work with if it does become necessary.

As for the sizing, I imagine you were probably correctly sized at the time but as we've added features to the firmware, this does have an effect on older boxes. My gut feeling is that you may have only been right-sized, with no real overhead, and once those old models went end of sale in 2015 they were less of a reason to not add features so stuff has been implemented and they're not as "competitive" anymore.

Sounds like your needs are fairly simple which is good as it means you'll have plenty of choice of network security appliance - I hope the XG-8 works out for you once you have it configured, but if for any reason it doesn't then we would obviously love to retain you as a customer on some newer hardware :)