Photo

Why do Barracuda Networks hold people to ransom over their Domain SMTP reputation?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Prachi

Prachi
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:22 AM

This is an appalling situation whereby an anti-spam device manufacturer forces you to register your domain ($20 administration fee per domain!) in order to ensure your domain isn't 'blocked' by companies using their devices.

To put into context, I have a small business which provides software services to companies. I rely on my email system to be able to communicate with everyone. Recently I started to received SMTP problem reports from customers who weren't receiving my emails. It turns out their anti-spam system (Barracuda) was blocking me. I checked mxtoolbox to find out what the issue was and discovered only 1 of the 50 companies who provide spam blacklisting services was blocking me - Barracuda. I went to the Barracuda site and it said it couldn't give me an exact reason why I was being blocked (it listed several possible causes), but I immediately smelled a rat because none of the other reputable spam blocking sites had me listed and I would have thought they would all use at least similar techniques to determine if I was a spammer.