Photo

Does Barracuda respond to the community?

barracuda service support

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John Dritsas

John Dritsas
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:18 AM

I'm wondering if Barracuda even looks here and responds?

I've been noticing that Barracuda hasn't lately been providing any new firmware fixes, feature enhancements, etc in a while we continue to pay for EU + IR for all of our devices.

#2 Forrest Mook

Forrest Mook
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

Based on the lack of response to feature requests and other posts, it sure doesn't seem like anyone from Barracuda is reading these messageboards.  I would love to be proven wrong :)

But yeah, with the lack of new features, firmware updates, etc... I'm wondering if Barracuda has mostly abandoned this product.

#3 Gavin Chappell

Gavin Chappell
  • Moderators
  • 407 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:16 AM

Hi!

Unfortunately the different loads on different teams means that some of our employees are more active on the forum than others - this has always been a community forum with no real expectations from Barracuda staff, however we do try to help wherever possible. 

Although the ESG appliances aren't the current "hot topic", the product is far from abandoned. People are using cloud based email-as-a-service more than ever, and the ESG appliance is closely linked with our cloud-based email security platform. With regards to EU/IR updates, these do not always come in the form of firmware upgrades. Since we're in the ESG forum, to give you specific advice, your EU subs cover:

- updated virus definition databases

- updated IP reputation lists

- updated spam filtering rules

- updated PII patterns (i.e. personally identifiable information like social security numbers, credit cards and other forms of PII)

The current firmware is capable of updating all this information without the need for firmware upgrades, and this happens several times a day. So although there may be no new major "visible" features coming into the product at the moment, the appliance and our Engineering teams are working hard behind the scenes to keep you updated completely transparently and protected against new threats.

IR is your "insurance policy" - the fact that you continue to pay it means nothing to you day to day, because hopefully you never need to call on it. But if you do, the fact you've been paying those IR subscriptions mean that if you do come across a problem we will do everything we can to get you back up and running ASAP. We know how important email is to your business, and every business. And after your fourth year of IR, you become eligible for our Hardware Refresh program which will upgrade you to the latest hardware as per the terms here (https://www.barracud...ort/replacement).

#4 Forrest Mook

Forrest Mook
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the response Gavin, it is appreciated!   Any chance we can get Barracuda to add a plus/minus SPAM score modifier to the options?  Detailed in the following feature request posts.    Something in between complete blocking of an IP address, and complete whitelisting of an IP address, is desperately needed.

https://community.ba...-to-spam-score/

https://community.ba...p-address-list/

https://community.ba...-on-ip-address/

#5 Gavin Chappell

Gavin Chappell
  • Moderators
  • 407 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:38 AM

I took a look at the links, and it seems like this has been adequately covered by Michelle in your third link - your feature request is raised and noted, but there are only four public voices on the forum which doesn't make this a high priority. There may be support cases that I don't have visibility into which raise this number, but I think it would be fair to say that while it's a feature which is important to you, it's not critical enough to make other customers want it. Sadly there does have to be a certain threshold to make the development team implement it and sadly it seems that your request hasn't quite made it yet.

I can't speak for the email team (it's not my product, I just wanted to respond to this thread so you didn't feel you were being completely ignored) but as a general rule we tell our Support staff that if customers have any feature requests from their support cases, then they can search our existing database and link the support case and feature request together in a sort of "voting" system. The end result that we're looking for is that if there's a particular pain point for customers we have a single feature request ticket with 100 "votes", rather than 100 feature requests which are all similar, but only have 1 "vote" each, making them look unimportant. So given the amount of time that you've personally been asking for this feature, I can only assume that it's specific enough to your environment that not enough people feel that their mail filtering would be improved by it.

I'm aware that will be a bit disappointing to you since it won't result in your feature request being implemented imminently, but I hope my reply was helpful.

#6 Forrest Mook

Forrest Mook
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:56 AM

Thanks Gavin, I appreciate the response, and your reply is helpful.  I'll see if I can garner some additional support for this from other people in the forum.

#7 Alan Brewer

Alan Brewer
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

I think Mook's suggestion of a spam score plus/minus modifier has merit, so please add my vote for this feature request.  Since we don't seem to have found a way to block this current scourge of spam (other than manually blocking IPs on a daily basis) I am looking for anything at all to help.  My Email Security Gateway 300 does an admirable job otherwise, so kudos for that.