High notify-queue length

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tex

Tex
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

I'm using Email Security Gateway V400, and I'm seeing quite a few of these today. I can see the in-queue, and the out-queue but I can't seem to find the notify-queue.

Is there a way to review this and clear them out as needed?

Is that even possible?

#2 opjose

opjose
  • Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C. Area

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:49 PM

I was looking into this as well.

The only references I see are to the SNMP trap, but I can't find the referenced items in the menus.

#3 Dan Shadix

Dan Shadix
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

Us too

#4 Jaybone

Jaybone
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

We're seeing this as well, and tons of garbage is getting through.  We're subscribed to the spamhaus zen list and fall well within their criteria for free use, and messages from listed IPs are not being blocked, so I'm wondering if the two are related.  Opening a case and will try to remember to update this thread.

#5 Johnny Lee Conroy

Johnny Lee Conroy
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:41 PM

Us as well.  We've added IP filters for the following ranges over the past 2 days:

#6 Tex

Tex
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:14 PM

I just spoke with Barracuda about it on the phone, and forgot to update this before going to lunch.

This is a known issue right now with Barracuda.

Both the spam getting through and high notify-queue alerts.

I was assured they were aware of the issue and their engineers were working on a fix.

-Tex

#7 John Widera

John Widera
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:14 AM

I spoke to barracuda too.  We are having the same issues.  They told us the engineers are working on it, but so far no improvement. 

We've had 400s, first physical then virtual, for going on 15 years and we've NEVER seen so much blatant spam getting through.  It all has the same traits/characteristics, obviously coming from the same origin, so I am perplexed as to why after weeks of this, Barracuda can't get this stuff filtered out.  We have 2000+ users, and a big % are getting hit hard.  We are getting complaints hourly from our users.

Please folks, FIX THE SPAM GETTING THRU.

#8 Forrest Mook

Forrest Mook
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:08 AM

The best defense I've found is to lower the Rate-Control limit to around 10 messages or less per IP address per 30 minutes.  It doesn't eliminate all of it, but it ends up "deferring" a very large quantity of the junk.   After doing that however, I have to periodically look at the "deferred messages" and add IP address exemptions for legitimate servers that send us alot of email so that email delivery doesn't get too slow for legitimate things.

#9 John Widera

John Widera
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:15 AM

The best defense I've found is to lower the Rate-Control limit to around 10 messages or less per IP address per 30 minutes.  It doesn't eliminate all of it, but it ends up "deferring" a very large quantity of the junk.   After doing that however, I have to periodically look at the "deferred messages" and add IP address exemptions for legitimate servers that send us alot of email so that email delivery doesn't get too slow for legitimate things.

Suggestion is appreciated.  However due to logistics of our environment reducing rate limit so low is not possible, nor is monitoring the deferrals.  We need the barracudas to go back to working as well as they once did, which it seems will require a stepped-up effort on the part of the engineers (?).  I mistyped 2000+ it's 5000+ accounts.