Photo

DKIM inspection - is there a performance impact?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 260 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

I haven't had DKIM inspection enabled under Sender Authentication as the thought of taking a performance hit put me off, but have decided to go ahead and enable it now and have messages tagged. Those of you who have this feature enabled, what is the impact on performance in your experience?

Thank you

#2 Johnny Lee Conroy

Johnny Lee Conroy
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

Hi Michael:

We did the same exact thing about two weeks ago and saw no performance impact at all.  Oddly, we also have zero messages tagged as a result.  Makes me wonder if the DKIM checking is even working.  I've since turned it back off because it's either not working or it's not having any impact on the amount of spam coming in, so why have it turned on?

Would love to hear from others if they've had a different experience with it.

Johnny Lee

#3 Chris Zimmerman

Chris Zimmerman
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

Hey all, just to weigh in here ...  I too have tried to turn this on for a cluster of boxes, and I don't see any real performance hit, nor do I actually see anything tagged.  On top of that, I have a domain here that we have DKIM records setup for, as well as we sign the outbound messages.  With that said, I actually tried sending a message inbound to my account, from and outside SMTP, posing as a user on the domain.  Obviously when the mail goes out from this standalone SMTP, and hits the cuda, it doesn't have a DKIM signature on it.  I have enabled DKIM inspection on the cuda, and have also said "inspect all mail for DomainKeys Policy" so I would expect the cuda to block this inbound message, but it doesn't.

Can anyone from Barracuda Networks weigh in here?