• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tenplus

tenplus
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:47 PM

I'm surprised no one is really talking about this on here or maybe the thread is buried way down but a search did not pull up any results. But we recently discovered all of our customers X-Series are end of life, end of support and yet Barracuda distributors continued to quote and sell right up to the end of 2018. Any of those customers that only got 1 year of maintenance and support have to buy a new device. At least that is what our re-seller sales rep is telling us. I think he is just trying to sell more F-Series devices sooner than required.

I chatted with support and asked them if my clients that still have time left on their 4 years of IR and EU would stop working on December 1, 2019 and they told me the devices would not stop outgoing traffic but incoming services would stop working.

this is very concerning and somewhat unethical. I have customers that still have 2 and 3 years left on a 4 year subscription to IR and EU and our sales rep is tell us we have to replace those devices now "or else."

The Campus EOL/EOS page says any device with a subscription will continue to be supported until the subscriptions expire.

https://campus.barra...ife-information

Can someone at Barracuda please chime in on this and tell me what is really going to happen to my clients X-100 and X-300 devices? Are they going to stop working before the end of the EU and IR subscriptions? Will we lose the value we already have in those devices? Our rep simply wants to offer us a flat discount on new devices but that is just wrong. Our clients have thousands tied up in devices that are less than a year old.

Thanks,

Bryan

#2 opjose

opjose
  • Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C. Area

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:16 PM

If you have the instant replacement service contract, your unit is due for a hardware refresh.

I called support and was told of the hardware refresh months ago. They sent us new F series units to replace our X300's.

#3 Dominik Grimm

Dominik Grimm
  • Product Managers
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:26 AM

Dear Bryan,

may I inform you about several important dates regarding Barracuda CloudGen Firewall X-Series End-of-Sales / End-of-Life:

- 2018-Nov-30               End-of-New Sales and End-of-Sales for hardware and multiple year subscriptions

- Until 2019-Nov-30       Renewals of subscriptions are still possible for a maximum of 1 year (No new sales, no multiple years purchase possible)

- 2019-Dec-01               End-of-Sales for all subscriptions

- 2020-Nov-30               End-of-Support: All subscriptions with an expiration date beyond this date will stay valid and services will continue to work until subscription expires.

- Until 2020-Nov-30       We will still provide security fixes if necessary, but there will be no new features or any bug fixes as long it is not a security hot fix due to a vulnerability.

We understand that the change to Barracuda CloudGen Firewall F-Series is not always do-able in a quick manner. Here some important information:

- All X-Series customers with a valid IR subscription will get corresponding F-Series hardware as a replacement, when changing to F-Series

We recommend to move to F-Series before End-of-Support on 2020-Nov-30.

If you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks

Dominik

#4 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:35 AM

If you have the instant replacement service contract, your unit is due for a hardware refresh.

I called support and was told of the hardware refresh months ago. They sent us new F series units to replace our X300's.

Same here. Mine migration to the f-series went pretty smoothly too, if you recall. 

#5 tenplus

tenplus
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:02 AM

Our clients with 4 years of IR will get new devices yes.

But we are being told that clients that don't have 4 years yet will only get a 20% discount on a new device. This means our clients that spent $1500 mid last year have to spend another $1500 this year before the end of their 1 years subscription which ends Jan 2020.

Are you folks saying that our client should be getting a replacement device even if their IR has only been paid 1 or 2 years?

Thanks,

Bryan

#6 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:02 PM

Are you folks saying that our client should be getting a replacement device even if their IR has only been paid 1 or 2 years?

Thanks,

Bryan

Well, ideally that would be the case. I think though with an instant replacement subscription the maths work out to where over 4 years you basically have paid for a new device, plus or minus some dollar amount, so you get a new device for your trouble. So in this case I would hope/expect at very least B'cuda SHOULD offer an amount off a comparable F-Series in line with what your customers have already paid toward instant replacement. Whether or not they are willing to do that is another story.

#7 Dominik Grimm

Dominik Grimm
  • Product Managers
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:53 AM

Hi,

here again:

- All X-Series customers with a valid IR subscription will get corresponding F-Series hardware as a replacement, when changing to F-Series

The important thing is that you have an active IR subscription. Doesn't matter for how many years.

The 4 years minimum rule is for refresh program. 

Thanks,

Dominik