file system failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dumitru-Corneliu Aursulesei

Dumitru-Corneliu Aursulesei
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

My customer, after 33 month of use Barracuda Backup Server 895b, with not IR, only EU services in run 36 month, detect a failure on hardisk

support told that repair, but after restart customer have nFile System failure after boot, the black screen

with

Loading megaraid_sas
[ 3.687610] megasas:IOC Init cmd success
[ 3.711629] megasas: INIT adapter done
Starting System
failure
FAILURE:\n\nFIle system errors were encountered that could not be fixed automatically. This system cannot continue to boot and will therefore be halted. After you press Enter, this system will be halted and powered off. \n\nPress Enter to continue...

what we can do?

Barracuda advise me to buy IR from two years back, that is mean to pay again like a new one.

I dont understand, for example if i need after 3 years to change the oil for a car, after 3 years to buy a new one. that is mean for me Barracuda support answer. If the system has RAID 60, and a hard disk was in failure, to buy new appliance that is not cheaper. why i pay for RAID 60?

Please tell me what i can do, because i dont find the steps or guide for repair and restore the system 895b with a hardware hard disk repaired remotely by barracuda support and after reboot i have a black screen with above message

#2 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

I'm not certain about this, but if the backups are also replicated to the cloud storage then once you replace the device I would suspect you could point the new device to the replicated data?? Somebody with more knowledge would need to confirm this though

I do always buy IR for my Barracuda devices just for such occasions, and have used it a couple times in the past. IR isn't like paying for oil changes, it's like paying for insurance in case you wreck your car. In the case of Barracuda though, you've pre-paid for a new appliance over the course of 4 years more or less so they give you a new one.

That said, I have no idea how the configuration on the Backup appliance is backed up so that it can be restored to a new appliance. I've looked and can't figure out how to initiate a configuration backup and am assuming it is automated once you connect the device to you CC account??

#3 Dumitru-Corneliu Aursulesei

Dumitru-Corneliu Aursulesei
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:52 PM

Dear Michael

the storage cost with EU in 3 years has same cost as I buy a car, even more.

For cars exist two option> to buy a new one or to repair

From Barracuda support team we find that they have one single option. just to buy IR that is mean to replace. Not to repair.

this experience gave me a thought because we were talking about something that should in principle be reliable. It's about storage. and if I need  to replace it for less than 3 years and we cannot repair it, it means something is wrong.
With other components, firewall or WAF, can be accept, like you told, like insurance , its happen, is a risk,  but with storage?
For me, the offer received from barracuda is not equivalent to 4 years to buy, but with three and already something else. 
It would be useful if you could help me with a recovery procedure.

even the Chinese do safer things and that makes me look stupid

If some guy know how i can bare metal recovery, please tell me

I'm not certain about this, but if the backups are also replicated to the cloud storage then once you replace the device I would suspect you could point the new device to the replicated data?? Somebody with more knowledge would need to confirm this though

I do always buy IR for my Barracuda devices just for such occasions, and have used it a couple times in the past. IR isn't like paying for oil changes, it's like paying for insurance in case you wreck your car. In the case of Barracuda though, you've pre-paid for a new appliance over the course of 4 years more or less so they give you a new one.

That said, I have no idea how the configuration on the Backup appliance is backed up so that it can be restored to a new appliance. I've looked and can't figure out how to initiate a configuration backup and am assuming it is automated once you connect the device to you CC account??