Photo

Domain Alias vs User Alias

aliasing domain users recipient verification LDAP

Best Answer Michelle Exner, 22 November 2019 - 11:56 AM

If you use per domain aliasing then all the users must be in the parent domain

for example you have domain2.com as an alias of domain1.com

mail comes in for bob@domain2.com

ESS will ask your mail server if bob@domain1.com exists. If they do the mail will be accepted and processed.

Per user aliasing uses the data in database and the primary user will of course already exist so there are no issues.

Per user aliasing is usually configured using LDAP or AZURE to build the userlist. It can also be configured manually on a per user basis.

You should NEVER user per domain and per user aliasing at the same time.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Robert Castillo

Robert Castillo
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:58 PM

Whats the difference between Domain Aliasing and User Aliasing?

When is it appropriate to use one vs. the other?

I have one local Exchange 2010 server accepting email for 10 different domains 90% of users have 4 email domains associated with their AD Login. There is not one domain that all 100% of users have in common. My goal is to have ESS accept email for all 10 domains without making it appear as if i have thousands of users (i only have about 250), my users do not need to login and manage quarantine and i would like ESS to perform recipient verification so its not sending undeliverable emails to my exchange server. 

Thanks,

#2 Michelle Exner

Michelle Exner

BSF / BESS Moderator

• Moderators
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:56 AM   Best Answer

If you use per domain aliasing then all the users must be in the parent domain

for example you have domain2.com as an alias of domain1.com

mail comes in for bob@domain2.com

ESS will ask your mail server if bob@domain1.com exists. If they do the mail will be accepted and processed.

Per user aliasing uses the data in database and the primary user will of course already exist so there are no issues.

Per user aliasing is usually configured using LDAP or AZURE to build the userlist. It can also be configured manually on a per user basis.

You should NEVER user per domain and per user aliasing at the same time.

Michelle Exner
Product Lead Support Engineer
Barracuda Email Security
(408) 342-5300