1 reply to this topic

#1 Johannes Rohrauer

Johannes Rohrauer
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:55 AM

Greetings,

I recently found out that Link Protection, a feature that in my opinion belongs to a modern spam filtering solution, is only available with the cloud protection layer. The NG firewall, however, can do Link Protection. But the NG is not an MTA. When I was in Alpbach the last time one of the speakers explictily warned to use LP on the NG because of this reason. If I am using a sophisticated spam filter on-prem (which is a must in my case) solution I do not see any reason to split spam related security features onto two devices! This raises administrative overhead and makes delegating tasks to internal staff/helpdesk way more complicated as it should be.

@Barracuda: is there any explanaiton for that, except that you want to sell subscriptions? This is so ridiculous in my opinion, I am tempted to delete my current eval and go for something else.

I would love to get some feedback here from some PM.

Regards

Johannes

#2 Michelle Exner

Michelle Exner

BSF / BESS Moderator

• Moderators
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:21 PM

Johannes,

The link protection service has to re-write all the URL's that are in an email unless the domain in the URL is on our exempt list.

This can in some emails result in a huge amount of overhead.

The hardware device does not have the resources required to do this work and so if we added it to the firmware it will result in many units not being able to process the mail in a reasonable amount of time resulting in huges delays in the delivery of mail.

The cloud service has far more resources available then your hardware unit and so that is where we provide these added features.

Link protect and the Advanced Thread Protection (ATP) services are part of our cloud service because the Barracuda Email Security Gateway does no have the resources required.

Michelle Exner
Product Lead Support Engineer
Barracuda Email Security
(408) 342-5300