Photo
- - - - -

I'd like all the features of the Email Security Gateway appliance put into the Barracuda Cloud Control Email Security

day range all domains message log search reports lacking feature 2 days 1 week 600 appliance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Goebel

Kevin Goebel
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:24 PM

My employer recently switched from the appliance (model 600) to the cloud control version. I'm very disappointed with the cloud version. I've already found two things lacking in my first week of using the cloud version:

First, automatic e-mail reporting is not available. With the appliance, there were 23 specific reports that could be generated on a Daily, Weekly, or Monthly basis. Some were useful to the regular users of the appliance, i.e. to give them a traffic or filter hits summary, and others were useful for giving other IT department workers a snapshot view of information they found useful, ie top spam senders, rate controlled, without them having to log into the appliance.

Second, the cloud version message log search screen is unhandy. We have multiple domains and when I open the message log search the window opens to the first domain by alphabetical order, rather than to All Domains, which the appliance version automatically searches by default. Additionally, the cloud version default time frame of searching is 2 days as opposed to the appliance searching the entire log unless a time frame is manually specified, or sending to management to give them a quick snapshot of the "big picture".

(I am guessing that every Monday morning in most US/European B2B corporations large enough to use a Barracuda product and normally staffed M-F, at least one person contacts their IT department asking if an email they expected by end of business Friday has been accidentally blocked. That's 4 unnecessary clicks each time for us.)

Neither of these options can be changed by us, they are hard-coded or controlled by a config file inaccessible to the consumer login.

Also, when I find a message, it would be an improvement if it presented a list of check boxes and radio buttons where I could optionally select to whitelist the sender or domain, blacklist the sender or domain, deliver the message, download the message, mark as incorrectly blocked or delivered, etc, and then click a Submit button to perform the actions all at once, rather than having to perform one operation, then reload the message to perform the next operation, etc.

On the Inbound Settings, Content Policies page, the Attachment Filter List is used by us as a "set it and forget it" feature. We access the Message Content Filters section far more frequently. I suggest you survey your customers to see if they'd like the Message Content Filters section moved to the top of the page.

I REALLY dislike losing capabilities and features when "upgrading" to a new product. I'm hoping I don't find other things missing.