• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea Tassinari

Andrea Tassinari
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

Hello,

we had to replace our ESG 300 due to hardware failure. We configured the replacement box with all the necessary to connect to the Cloud Control ad tried to restore the backup files created by the dead unit, backup stored in the cloud. In the Cloud Control we can see the backup files (with the option See All Backups) and we can initiate the restore process clicking the Restore Backup link.

We can see the Prepare Backup task running in the task manager. The task stops with the error: Error transferring backup file. Could not download file.

Connection to internet works as we can download energize updates and new firmware. This is not a firewall issue (as suggested by support service representative).

Both new and old box have the same firmware version (I updated the firmware to the version of the backup files we want to have restored).

We immediately opened a support ticket but after more than 24 ours no-one from barracuda have a clue. I asked for having the backup files emailed (in order to upload from local)  and I was answered: tomorrow morning!

Simply unacceptable!

Does anyone had a similar issue?

Andrea

#2 Michelle Exner

Michelle Exner

BSF / BESS Moderator

• Moderators
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:33 PM

Andrea,

This is usually caused by the data being transferred to your BESG being corrupted usually by a web filter or router/gateway

The technician you are working with should be requesting the backup be emailed to them so they can then email it to you.

You can then restore it locally.

We see this quite often  so your tech should know what to do

SIncerely,

Michelle Exner
Product Lead Support Engineer
Barracuda Email Security
(408) 342-5300

#3 Andrea Tassinari

Andrea Tassinari
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:40 AM

Michael,

we disabled all filtering features on our firewall, we have only plain NAT. The box is downloading every other file needed with no problem. Users are downloading everything with no problem.

That said, if you see quite often this problem you should have put a fix that does not take over 48 ours to resolve! This is unacceptable, truly unacceptable.

1. you should have documented this, clearly and easily accessible;

2. you should give the user the ability to download the backup files from Cloud Control to local folder;

3. you should give the support representative the ability to access this files directly and not having to wait a response from USA technical department and then mail to customer (from Europe to India to USA and back... how many time zones, how many irritating waits)

All this situation sounds very UNprofessional, sad but true.

Andrea

#4 Michelle Exner

Michelle Exner

BSF / BESS Moderator

• Moderators
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

Andrea,

The system runs the way it does for security reasons.
We are not going to allow direct access to our servers so that backups can be downloaded directly
We also are not going to allow normal support techs at Barracuda direct access to all customers backups.
The protections are their for a reason.

If you can't download the backup to your device that is due to the download being corrupted. 
It works correctly for customers every day. We have no way to fix the connection to your network

If you need the backup you can easily call into support and a tech can get you that backup.
It only takes a short while if done correctly.

Sincerely

Michelle Exner
Product Lead Support Engineer
Barracuda Email Security
(408) 342-5300

#5 Andrea Tassinari

Andrea Tassinari
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:07 AM

Michael,

I can agree with almost your sentences, but this one is irritating "... It only takes a short while if done correctly", more than 24 ours... a very, very short while...

I have a dozen different appliance/software that do their backup in the cloud. None of them except Barracuda ESG has trouble downloading and restoring their backup, obviously through the same firewall/router.

If you see often this file corruption maybe it is time to take countermeasure, don't you think? Why can I download updates and firmware correctly and not backup files? This is a nonsense to a user perspective.

I think this is a big hole in a critical procedure and it should be mandatory to fix.